Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

clutch problems < bike is creeping forward

Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problems < bike is creeping forward

04.5 sportsman 700 efi clutch , i think the one way bearing may be bad but i pulled clutch cover off and looked while it was running and the belt is riding on inside sheeve so im going to try shiming the driven clutch and was wondering what are the shims , are they just washers or what ?

Old 11-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shimming out the rear clutch may help,but a lot of times if the fiber washer and brass washer on each side of the one way bearing are worn and the one way bearing has too much side to side play, the belt will drift over and touch the inner sheath causing creeping,hard shifting. The shim you mentioned is behind the rear clutch. Just slide the clutch off and you can match this washer up at any hardware store.Usually up to about 3 washers can be used. If shimming doesn't help,check the motor mounts for separation also. Here's some good informative posts that a couple members have made on this and solutions.2002 500 Sportsman belt alignment - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so more shims didn't work so Im gonna change out the one way bearing and the two washers ! What other parts should I go ahead and replace while I got the spider off if ?

Old 11-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Always checkout the 6 guide buttons for wear,replace if needed plus the plain bearing the clutch shaft goes through.If it's the least bit wobbly,replace this bearing along with the cover bearing.Items #5,7,and 9.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

I gotta parts diagram printed up so what #s should I buy ? It would help me out on a parts list to get ! I wanna go ahead get anything that's a wear item ! Thanks for help OPT ! I've learned a lot on here from you !

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by chuck1177
I gotta parts diagram printed up so what #s should I buy ? It would help me out on a parts list to get ! I wanna go ahead get anything that's a wear item ! Thanks for help OPT ! I've learned a lot on here from you !
The link I showed at the top shows the part numbers and prices. This place is usually cheaper than most of the other sites. Before you remove the spider just hold the back clutch sheath and see if there is very much back and forth slack on the guide buttons. If in doubt just replace them. If the clutch plain bearing(#7) has a lot of play when the shaft is inserted,then best to replace it also. Usually when really worn the inside of the bearing will be worn down to the brass color. New bearings have a coating over the brass.