Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Polaris Scrambler 50 no spark CDI Box ?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Polaris Scrambler 50 no spark CDI Box ?

i could use some help. My sons atv was riding just fine, he turned it off for five mins and when we tried to start it, nothing... When we got home and got into it we discovered there is no spark... I replaced the coil and that did not fix it. I think it may be the CDI Box??? I went all over the place on-line to buy one, it seems to be pretty hard to find, meaning I can't find an OEM one...
First off, can anyone let me know if I am on the right path thinking it is the CDI?
Do you know where I can get one, if it is an aftermarket, can you recommend one?

Thanks in advance,

John

Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the stator also as it seems I replaced more of them than any other electronic part.Just the way the plastic stator cover was designed let a a lot of dirt and water in shorting a bunch of stators. Make sure you don't have to much slack at the thumb throttle or the etc switch can cause spark loss also.Pull the black wire from the cdi and see if you have spark.If you do have spark,could be an ignition switch problem or internal kill circuit on the cdi module.If you don't have spark,pull the stator wires and check resistance. Black to w/r 450 ohms,black to Blk/Red 800 ohms,Blk to Y/R 0.5 ohms,Blk to white 0.6 ohms.Black to ground should not zero out.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I will test the stator this weekend.
So if the CDI box is bad , what can I do? It looks like they are no longer available...
I saw some old chats on-line that you could swap it out with an Eton CDI box, have you heard of this? I could not find what model number CDI they were talking about because they had giving a link to eBay, but the page is no longer available.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default got it fixed!

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know I got it fixed! It was the stator, after taking it apart you could see right away this model allows a lot of water, mud and dust right into the stator... Bad Design.
I found a replacement stator on ebay for $25
Stator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 50 2001 2003 Generator | eBay

Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default found aftermarket CDI box for 2001 Polaris Scambler 50

I also wanted to let everyone know I finally found an aftermarket CDI box for the scrambler 50. Found it on Ebay for $85
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SCRAMBLER-SPORTSMAN-PREDATOR-50-90-PERFORMANCE-IGNITION-CDI-BOX-00-06-/131457902916?hash=item1e9b806944&vxp=mtr

Here is the description:
This is a brand new performance CDI ignition box for the Polaris Scrambler 50 & 90 00-03 & Sportsman 90 03-06, Predator 50 04-06. This box has a more aggressive timming curve & a higher rev limit compared to the origional CDI box. This is a 5 wire box, you dont use the gray wire on your atv. Wires are as follow, Orange & black are in a plastic plug together, then Black/white, black/red, white/red. There is no gray wire as it is not required even if your model has a gray wire, it is just left unused. . Please make sure this box is what you need as there are no returns on electrical parts. Free shipping is in the US only.

I definitely noticed faster speeds and better throttle response once I put this CDI box on...

The following users liked this post:
Bigslim (07-25-2023)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Johnnyhorsepower

It was the stator, after taking it apart you could see right away this model allows a lot of water, mud and dust right into the stator... Bad Design.
Yes bad design.. I said that every time I had to replaced one. They really didn't get any better on sealing until the 4 stroke youth models came out. Glad you got her up and running.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes me wonder if one of the $5 (free shipping) Chinese CDI boxes could be used.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Very seldom did I have a cdi problem on the 50 and 90. Seems like it was one stator after another.The slots in the shroud for the fan to cool the stator just let everything in.Knock off parts are showing up every day.Who knows, a 5 buck Chinese cdi might hold up but if it's like some Chinese parts I'd have a spare.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had one Chinese CDI box fail at about 9000 miles but as you suggested I always carry a spare. 5 minutes and I was back on the road. Not too bad considering the price. Never had a stator fail on a Chinese bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Polaris Scrambler 50 no spark CDI Box ?