Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2010 550XP...CHECK ENGINE LITE,running poorly

Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 550XP...CHECK ENGINE LITE,running poorly

So I posted about this last season, My 550XP had an issue with what I believed to be the wiring harness feeding the fuel injector. So I spliced in about 2 inches of wire, soldered and sealed it up nicely and it seemed fixed but only got maybe 3-4 hours of riding time to proof it. But all was well...until, yesterday...I hit a bump on the trail after riding for a few hours of perfect running and BAM it was back, check engine lite on and into limp mode it went. Would only run slightly better than idle speed. I checked grounds, connections, pushed on and replugged wires and wiggled wiring harnesses but to no avail. OK to the mechanic it goes....well not until we return form our weekend trip...So I fire it up to drive to the wash station, still running bad. I wash it off, (not a pressure wash system) and fire it back up to head to the campsite..ITS FIXED itself !!! what ?!?! no check engine lite, nothing...runs perfect.

All the wiring is pretty well hidden on these machines. So blasting directly into a plug is unlikely but something got wet or something happened.

My question is this....Does the bike have OBD? i believe yes.
2nd question. Would the code be stored?

We have a trip to hatfield and mccoy in about 2 weeks and this is a terrible time to have a quad go down...to get a mechanic on it and fixed in a short period of time is to say the least rough.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes it stores codes,but the problem is sometimes wiring shorts may not throw one or may even show bogus codes like "loss of synchronization" etc. I know you don't want to hear this but Digital Wrench may be able to find the problem quicker than you can. May be more to it than a harness problem.Sounds like more what a Tbap harness/wiring problem would do,or could be something else. Plus you might want to keep these folks in mind on harness kits. A lot better than the sensor harness repair kits that Polaris ever made.Only The Best To remove any stored codes just disconnect the battery for a couple minutes after the problem is fixed.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks OPT...what exactly is "Digital Wrench"?
From a little research I see that D.W. is a diagnostic tool of Dealers...correct?

So you believe a dealer can possibly find this issue ?
I do not mind paying for a service IF it will fix my problem.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes Digital Wrench is a dealer program that can delve into the electronics of the machine. If it can't find the source hopefully it can narrow down the search area. Only so much people can do at home with test lights and meters even if they have the service manuals.