Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

predator 500 wont start! help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This is when you need help in holding the flywheel nut at tdc and cranking the gauge pressure gauge up past the 15 psi you've been doing to get a true percentage of any leaking from valves,rings.Most manuals show no more than 10% leakage is acceptable.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant seem to get my pics to post at all and webcams didnt have an answer about timing, i dont think i was able to speak to a qualified person to answer the timing question. I suppose i will try to retime it and turn the motor over by hand so i dont bend any valves if the timing becomes too far off

Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

As for the leak test, thanks for the video i did exactly what the video said to do and im happy to say i didnt find a leak anywhere in the motor. Valves and piston rings are sealed up great. Timing is the last sensible explanation i suppose for the lack of compression.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Did the cams come with sprockets or did you use the oem sprockets? But whether they did or didn't, if the cams are an exact replacement for the Predator,marks and timing should be the same versus the oem cams.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

The cams came with the sprockets already on so theres no way their off spec unless its a factory screw up... anyway my timing on the quad is yet again perfect according to the manual yet i do not get a single fire of the piston. I still have a good blue spark, i have fresh fuel and a clean carb. Compression is still an issue and im sure thats why its not starting but i cant figure out whats causing that low comp.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Does the Web cam utilize the Polaris compression release device from the exhaust cam or have one of its own? IF the piston is good along with the rings,the valves,valve seats are ok and timing is correct,either the cam is the problem on low compression(holding the exhaust valve down too long) or you have some other problem. Think I'd still try to contact Web cams.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so i worked on the timing alil today and i moved back the intake one tooth and did a compression test and got 72 psi give or take because my tester is harbor frieght and has a long hose. So that puts my compression in the ballpark right? And i decided to check my fuel once again because my dad had added some before and my 2stroke fuel disappeared...found it in my pred so i drained the fuel tank and carb bowl and put fresh regular fuel in. Cranked it over alot and still nothing. Could my exhaust need adjusted too? My intake markvon the cam is slightly lower than in the picture in the manual but i believe my exhaust is dead on. And as for the webcams yes they have the stock style decompression lever on it just like stock cams.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can try moving the cam sprocket one tooth up and see if it helps. If it doesn't I'd get on the horn with Web and see what they have to say.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

is it at all possible that my stock valve specs need to be changed to accomodate the "bolt in" camshafts? It would make sense of the low comp if the valves werent opening enough to allow proper compression right? My valve lash is set to webcam specs but the clearance and such is unchanged from stock.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Hankey Pankey
is it at all possible that my stock valve specs need to be changed to accomodate the "bolt in" camshafts? It would make sense of the low comp if the valves werent opening enough to allow proper compression right? My valve lash is set to webcam specs but the clearance and such is unchanged from stock.
Again if you're sure the compression is ok,then talk to Web cams as I don't know any thing about these cams or their"specs"..

Quick Reply: predator 500 wont start! help!