Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

06 sportsman 500 efi awd issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 sportsman 500 efi awd issue

Just picked up the above machine with 247hrs on it. So far I've replaced rear wheel bearings, both ball joints, front cv boot and stator. The issue I'm now having is that the awd light works, speedo works, but the awd will not engage. I've pulled the connector to check for 12v but it only fluctuates between 6-9v which leads me to believe I have a bad ground. If I hook 12v directly into the front diff, it still doesn't engage. I'm about to start pulling the front diff to tear into it but was wondering if anyone knew where I should look for the bad ground(so I don't have to run a new ground) and what else I should look for once I get the diff pulled. The input shaft is pretty sloppy so I will pick up a rebuild kit.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Jump the brown/white wire in the speedo harness to the brown wire or to another brown or frame ground. See if this helps. This bypasses the awd section in the speedo where a lot of problems happen. If you're going to rebuild the input shaft I'd go further and replace the plastic roller cage with an aluminum one. If it hasn't cracked yet probably will later on. Plenty of them on ebay,etc.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Once I pull it apart I will hopefully have a better idea of what I'm up against. Where would I go looking for the ground on the machine for the front diff wire? Or would I be better off splicing into the wire and re grounding?

Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The brown/white wire in the speedo harness is the ground for the front diff. You'd just be jumping it to a common ground (brown) bypassing the speedo that usually handles the grounding and completes the circuit.Or you can jump the brown/white to a good frame ground. Which ever is easier. Also check close at the dif where the wires enter for any bare frayed wiring that could be causing intermittent problems. This is just a way to try to get a positive ground. Again your problem maybe caused by the plastic roller cage,worn armature plate,etc. If the front diff engages OK after the regrounding,then that was the problem. If it doesn't help then you may still have to tear into the diff to see if it's a mechanical problem.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ran 12v right into the diff and it still didn't engage, I've started pulling it out. Hopefully should have it out by the end of today. Was gonna do it this morning but I'm tired from nightshift and need to get to sleep. I did just get the prop shaft out though

Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just drained the fluid and there was barely any in there, also a nice rusty colour.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, just disassembled the front diff, bearings are pooched and the rollers are rusted and pitted. The armature plate has a wear groove in one side. The cage looks fine but I'll clean it up and take a closer look. My next question is will the john Deere parts fit this one? My differential has the 4 bolt pattern in the input shaft plate as opposed to the 3 bolts I've seen so far.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just replace the roller cage with an aluminum one from ebay along with a new armature plate and other parts needed.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Quick question opt, when I install the new seals, do j press them in right up against the bearings?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just flush with the castings.

Quick Reply: 06 sportsman 500 efi awd issue