Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Battery light blinking then gets hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bzdok1234
Ok so heres what ive discovered, batery at it is 12.2 with full charge, at idle slowly increases. i can rev it up and it reaches 13.5. Ive put the multimeter in all yellow wires and if its on the right setting they all show roughly 147 with it grounded. I see .5 when i go each one in a different yellow
.5 resistance between each yellow is fine,so is the 147 ohms to ground.This shows the stator should be ok. 12.2 is low to begin with,fully charged should be around 12.5-12.8 volts. 13.5 volts max is low,will drag the battery down and trigger the battery light especially with other electronics running that take voltage down. Sounds like you need to get a new ecm module.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right. It drops .7 volts i noticed when i turn the low beams on as well. Plus fan drags it down more. So your really confident its the ecm?;

Old 07-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All right. It drops .7 volts i noticed when i turn the low beams on as well. Plus fan drags it down more. So your really confident its the ecm?;
Best that I can tell you at this point.. If the battery can't keep up,components can't work properly,plus that's why you have the low battery warning light. Plus you've checked the machine with two different batteries if I remember correctly and the results have been the same. If I'm wrong on this you can always have the battery load tested also to remove all doubt that it's the problem.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Best that I can tell you at this point.. If the battery can't keep up,components can't work properly,plus that's why you have the low battery warning light. Plus you've checked the machine with two different batteries if I remember correctly and the results have been the same. If I'm wrong on this you can always have the battery load tested also to remove all doubt that it's the problem.
I did have it load testedand it was good so it must be the ecm. Thank you for all of your answers and your time. Much better then spending the money bringin it in and the wait. Thanks again! Will post when its replaced

Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well got the brand new ecm and put it in and having the same issue. Now what?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What's the charging rate back to the battery at an idle then with an idle increase? If charging rate is good,but the battery light shows up on the display,then still could be a several things. Faulty speedo or harness connector(pins not making good contact) causing the warning light. This you can check by pushing,pulling on the connector wiring to see if the pins are tight. Plus could still be a battery. On this I'd have it load tested again just to make sure. Plus if a fan bearing is worn,can place a load on the system. The manual has a load test on it also to see if it takes too much amperage and dragging power down when it kicks on. Or even something simple as the main ground at the engine.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

What's the charging rate back to the battery at an idle then with an idle increase? If charging rate is good,but the battery light shows up on the display,then still could be a several things. Faulty speedo or harness connector(pins not making good contact) causing the warning light. This you can check by pushing,pulling on the connector wiring to see if the pins are tight. Plus could still be a battery. On this I'd have it load tested again just to make sure. Plus if a fan bearing is worn,can place a load on the system. The manual has a load test on it also to see if it takes too much amperage and dragging power down when it kicks on. Or even something simple as the main ground at the engine.
Well with lights on its at 12.0 when fan comes on it drops to 11.5. With nothing on it gets to 12.8. I double checked all the wires to and from battery. Wiggled harness and nothing changed. Wheres the main ground located exactly?

Last edited by bzdok1234; 07-20-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Well with lights on its at 12.0 when fan comes on it drops to 11.5. With nothing on it gets to 12.8. I double checked all the wires to and from battery. Wiggled harness and nothing changed. Wheres the main ground located exactly?
Then it's either not charging(which you can have a faulty ecm out of the box) or the battery or grounds you have are bad. Gotta be one or the other with that voltage.. Neg battery cable grounds to the engine down below the clutch cover a bit. Plus has an engine to frame ground at the top motor mount. Should be a visible ground wire from the frame to the engine.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Then it's either not charging(which you can have a faulty ecm out of the box) or the battery or grounds you have are bad. Gotta be one or the other with that voltage.. Neg battery cable grounds to the engine down below the clutch cover a bit. Plus has an engine to frame ground at the top motor mount. Should be a visible ground wire from the frame to the engine.
I cant find the grounds, i got one i see right by the battery on the frame. Do i gotta remove clutch cover would bad fan cause the low voltage if fan's not running yet? Do u happen to live in mn?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I cant find the grounds, i got one i see right by the battery on the frame. Do i gotta remove clutch cover? Do u happen to live in mn?
Nope I'm in Texas.. Just trace the negative battery cable to where it terminates. Make sure it's tight,plus the same on the battery connections,positive and negative and the engine to frame ground on the top right hand side of the engine mount. Plus close by the ecm should be a small group of brown wires. Make sure they're tight. Should either be mounted on the frame or on the coil mounting bolt. Something still is not right when you can't get past 12.8 (battery voltage) and the stator charge coil wires checked out also according to your tests. Plus with the old ecm you got to 13.5 volts. After you take care of any loose grounds,charge the battery over night on a battery tender,than have it load tested. If it checks out,no dead cells then entirely possible the ecm is faulty.Plus don't think I gave you the link to the cheap 5 buck manual. Worth looking at the charging section and wiring schematic.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2008-Po...ce-Manual.html Looking at my copy of the manual,shows that if the battery is too low,can't maintain normal battery voltage,the regulator in the ecm has a protection circuit that will not kick on and charge. Something again that makes it worth checking the battery out to see if it's ok..

Last edited by old polaris tech; 07-20-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: ecm charging

Quick Reply: Battery light blinking then gets hot