Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 Sportsman 90 that won’t start

Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman 90 that won’t start

Hello,
I’m hoping someone here can help me. After much reading and buying, I am stumped. I have a 2003 Sportsman 90 that won’t start. At this point, I have replaced the battery, stator, CDI, coil, and the Brake Sensor switch.
I have jumped over from the battery to starter and it will turn over (red to red/white) at the relay box, which clicks when I do. The machine will still not start. I should mention I have no tail light either.
This leads me to believe that it is either the electric start switch or one of the 2 kill switches. Is there a way to bypass these or test these to isolate or eliminate these as the problem? I do have a multimeter. Also, if these check out ok what would be my next move, short of crying ?
Thank you in advance,
Scott

Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off have you ground a plug against the cylinder to see if you have spark? Plus have you done a compression check? As far as bypassing the tether switch you can just tie the two wires together.The brake sensor switch also is the starter interlock. When activated the switch sends power to the relay which triggers the starter. If it just clicks,possible bad relay.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Banned

First off, thank you for the quick reply! I just bought a inline spark tester to try out tomorrow, however are you referring to when It is kicked over as it is DOA with the electric start switch.

I should mention that I had the electric start switch turning it over last week and it turned over easily when I was waiting for a new coil (no spark then at that time) but my brother-in-law (gotta love 'em!) flipped the kill switch (on left handlebar) and pulled the tether out and plugged it back in then, nothing. That's what leads me to the switches on the handlebar... Other than that, I would be down to the relay as about the only other possibility.

If the kill (perhaps I should say "run/stop" switch) is toast, would that prevent the taillight coming on? I read some of your previous posts to others on this and you had indicated the starter interlock as a culprit so I replaced that already as I stated, sorry to be redundant, I just wish to communicate well.

Again, thank you for your time
Regards,
Scott

Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check spark with the kick starter. As long as you have power to the ignition switch,the relay clicks,possible that the left control switch is ok. It shouldn't stop the brake light when the lever is pressed as long as you have power. Check the wiring back to the tail light. Stators were bad on these about shorting out as far as the most ignition problems. Didn't have too many cdi or coil problems.An occasional ignition switch wire would come loose(cheap soldering) but for the most part ignition and left control switches were not a problem,but then again it's 12 years old also..Clicking relay is usually a sign to replace it.Not cheap,but possible you can find an aftermarket or one that will interchange at an auto store.Test if you have voltage going to the starter motor first.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003-2005-2006-Polaris-SPORTSMAN-NEW-OEM-GENUINE-Starter-Relay-Switch-/291424184383?hash=item43da3c283f&vxp=mtr Plus this might help on wiring/electrical tests if you don't have one.2003 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Wow! Excellent advice! No voltage to starter, so I peeled off the rubber boot on the relay and found it said 12V 40A, so I went online and found this:
DC 12V 40A No 4 Pins 6mm Mounting Hole 4 Pins Socket Automotive Truck Car Relay | eBay
for $10.00. The connections are the same, so I ordered it. If it works out, I will post the results for future references

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hoped you could find one cheaper than 60 bucks for an oem relay..

Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Banned

So, I got my relay, I also had the original tested, as brother-in-law has the same ATV and his started with it. I also got another elec. starter switch. Still nothing. This seems really bizarre to me. I tested the ignition switch and with key turned on, the brown gets power, but no power to green. If I jumper the green and red on the ignition switch to bypass key power goes to Blk/Yellow. Also, blue/white, red and green/yellow all have power at the relay and green/yellow has power to taillight but no light. For now I have bypassed the safety kill switch tether to eliminate it. Run/stop switch works. To refresh, there is a new stator,coil,CDI also.Here is a a diagram from the manual you recommended, which I purchased for reference. I added the colors for clarity.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Oem ignition switch or aftermarket? Have heard of people having problems with some aftermarket switches,stators,etc not being the same.Plus have you tried your brother in laws ignition switch? If that doesn't work then sounds like your down to tracing individual wires or buying a 100 buck wiring harness.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Banned

Ignition switch/ key is oem - original the only thing not replaced...yet. electric starter switch is oem from ebay so it's used, but tested out ok on in-law's machine. that's what I was thinking. I do have a secondary stator i will try out. Am I correct in assuming green should get power with key turned on? Also, should I be getting power on brown and green/yellow at the Taillight?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Being that's it's 12 years old and a long time since I messed with one,only thing I can remember on the early models(2001 especially) is that it didn't have a tail light,just the brake light that worked off the brake lever plunger switch that also was the starter lock out switch.Can't remember on the 2003 model,but appears that it does have the tail light/brake light on the diagram. The green/yellow does show to be the brake light.. It shouldn't have power to it with just the key on,as it would be triggered by the brake switch. Should be that the light blue wire would be powered up for the tail light with just the switch on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Sportsman 90 that won’t start