Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1999 xplorer 400 crank case oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Most cycle shops have Threebond or even Yamabond at Yamaha dealers,but I've used Ultra Gray also and it's very similar to both of these products.Don't see a problem in using it. The best stuff sold up until a few years ago was Threebond 1104,but was discontinued for 1194 which was slicker to the touch and not as easy to work with. Supposedly it was because there was lead in the original 1104 formula.. Yea,right after I had my fingers on the stuff for about 20 years..
Great thanks! I will try the polaris dealer accross from my work for three bond or an equivalent. If not maybe just the permatex grey. I know wallyworld has that stuff as much as i hate going there!!

Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Ipmcelroy
Great thanks! I will try the polaris dealer accross from my work for three bond or an equivalent. If not maybe just the permatex grey. I know wallyworld has that stuff as much as i hate going there!!
Got the motor back together popo shop had the Threebond. Just ready to install the crank seals and on the flywheel side it has a metal sleeve with a thin oring that seats against the outer crank bearing. My question is should i install that down the crankshaft 1st and theb install the crankseal? I will have to heat the sleave to fit it on the crankshaft, then seal, then sproket.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Easier to install the o-ring and the seal sleeve first. This way you can lube the lip of the crank seal,work it over the sleeve and make sure the seal lips are firmly against the sleeve. Then you can finish seating the seal. I never used heat on this sleeve. I just tapped it on with a punch all the way around until it seated. OR you can seat the seal first,make sure you worm the seal sleeve into the seal without distorting the seal lips and tap it home. 6 one way,half a dozen the other..

Old 02-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer

Easier to install the o-ring and the seal sleeve first. This way you can lube the lip of the crank seal,work it over the sleeve and make sure the seal lips are firmly against the sleeve. Then you can finish seating the seal. I never used heat on this sleeve. I just tapped it on with a punch all the way around until it seated. OR you can seat the seal first,make sure you worm the seal sleeve into the seal without distorting the seal lips and tap it home. 6 one way,half a dozen the other..
Any ideas how to pull crank seal out a bit on clutchside. It pushed in to far and i think its hitting the outside crankbearingI dohave an extra set of seals though

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Easiest way to pop a seal out or even pull one out a little without damaging it is a cheap seal puller. Another good tool to keep in your tool box.Handy in so many different ways.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 xplorer 400 crank case oil?-free-shipping-double-slider-large-oil-font-b-seal-b-font-font-b-puller-b-font.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

Easiest way to pop a seal out or even pull one out a little without damaging it is a cheap seal puller. Another good tool to keep in your tool box.Handy in so many different ways.
So i finally got the motor back in the atv after doing pump seals gaskets all new bottom end bearings as well as the counter balance bearings, bored and honed cylinder, new piston and rings etc. Started it up let it run 1st night for a while and heat up then shut offlet cool. Today i go out to put thebike together a little better to take and break in. Looked at head just above the exh. And right where the gasket tang comes out a bit i sawa small bit of coolant. Well the gasket did not take. I did torque the heaf down in sequence to the book up to 20ftlbs. And rechecked. Cylinder i had decked a bit and the head was not warped. Ready to burn this 2 stroke wasting to much time and money on it for no good outcome!!!! Only thingi can think of is when i redid the piston rings and top end gaskets i found the pump seal to be bad and putting oil and coolant in cylinder and blowing out exhaust. Could this cause extra top end pressure and blow out a new head gasket. Since then those other issues were fixed

Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

What brand head gasket did you use? When I rebuilt my 400 last winter, I bought the Winderosa brand head gasket. Mine had the same exact problem as you had. I had the head checked and everything was straight. Had the company send me another one but it did the same thing. I contacted the company again and they found out there was a problem on some gaskets with the stamping process. They sent me an OEM Polaris head gasket and problem was gone.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 02-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Did you bleed the 10 mm screw on the head of any trapped air when you first got it back together? A lot of people forget this step and this can cause a 400 to run hot real quick and blow head gaskets.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cornermike
What brand head gasket did you use? When I rebuilt my 400 last winter, I bought the Winderosa brand head gasket. Mine had the same exact problem as you had. I had the head checked and everything was straight. Had the company send me another one but it did the same thing. I contacted the company again and they found out there was a problem on some gaskets with the stamping process. They sent me an OEM Polaris head gasket and problem was gone.

Hope this helps,
Mike
It was a head gasket from ebay top end parts? Probably the same as winderosa. I actually have 2 more new ones. Winderosa because i rebuilt lower end and ordered gasket kits. Going to try another new one tonight will try winderosa. I did use a winderosa on my 09 sportsman 500 last year and it also did not take. Maybe there just **** gaskets. I used polaris factory one after that and that one took.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Trailblazer

Did you bleed the 10 mm screw on the head of any trapped air when you first got it back together? A lot of people forget this step and this can cause a 400 to run hot real quick and blow head gaskets.
No i did not bleed the screw. I thought about it though Im going to replace the gasket later today again i have two more new ones kicking around. Winderosa though. So far with these head gaskets i have had ill effects with my 09 500 and this 400. I only try them because they came piston kit i ordered and lower end seal kit. If this does not work i will try a factory polaris. I will as well bleed the screw on head!!!!! This motor has been a headache. When torqing the nuts i know the order seq. But should i gradually torque them up to 20lbs maybe do them all to 10lbs, then 15lbs then 20lbs?

Quick Reply: 1999 xplorer 400 crank case oil?