Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 polaris scrambler 90cc 2 stroke problems

Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 polaris scrambler 90cc 2 stroke problems

I've got a 2003 polaris scrambler 90cc 2 stroke I was having issues with it running,it ran fine at idle and started first try everytime but it would start bogging down under acceleration. Now it's got to the point it won't start at all cranks and cranks and cranks but no start all of this happened with. A couple weeks I've cleaned carb air filter and have adjusted idle nothing helped it from bogging down like I said ran great at idle just not under acceleration now it won't even turn over its getting fuel I'm lost on this any information would help thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ground the plug against the cylinder to check that you have good spark. Check compression. Manual calls for 115 psi minimum or time to freshen up the top end. Complete kits are cheap on ebay.Polaris 90cc ATV Top End Cylinder Rebuild Kit Kids Quad Scrambler 2001 2002 2003 | eBay

Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I've checked it out I'm getting spark compression test reveals 110 psi so I'm not sure if that's what's going g on any other suggestions

Old 02-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by shadmasri
Ok so I've checked it out I'm getting spark compression test reveals 110 psi so I'm not sure if that's what's going g on any other suggestions
What you have is probably the Eton engine and transmission. The carb, on this particular model (2000 thru 2004) requires the float to be set very high ( not parallel to the body ). Also, there is a bulliton on these in regards to fuel starvation and requires the fuel lines to be re-routed. When you cleaned the carb, did you run some very small wire thru the pilot....and main jet?

2003 polaris scrambler 90cc 2 stroke problems-imag0450.jpg

Old 02-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Correction I am not getting spark at all

Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

110 is getting down there. Most people overlook the small hole in the float bowl that has to be open and also the fuel valve itself for flow. Bulletin we received was no different than what the manual shows. Float bottom to be parallel with the carb body when held upside down.The main tech bulletin we got was on starting the blame little things.Blocking off the air duct inlet tube with your thumb allowed quicker starts in cold weather. These little 50 and 90 engines just didn't have enough vacuum to pull fuel when cold.The public didn't get that bulletin and we just told the customers that had trouble starting them what to do. Once warm,you could crank them right back up.Here's one guy that flushed out everything including the fuel valve. Another thing people overlooked was cleaning the fuel valve bowl.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by shadmasri
Correction I am not getting spark at all
Then best to check stator specs first..Remove the plastic cover and clean the flywheel and pick up coil area. Bad cover design that allowed too much dirt and water to enter that could short out stators. You might be able to regain spark by doing that. Stator check is Black to white/red, 450 ohms. Black to black/red 800 ohms. Black to y/r, 0.5 ohms. Black to white,0.6 ohms. If you get with in 20% +/- of these readings pull the black wire from the cdi and then check for spark. Plus don't overlook simple things like a fouled plug.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Lol. The bulletin that I posted was for the re-routing of the fuel lines..bulletin # SB0019, dated 08/15/03, ( which I have along with others )....not for the float adjustment. About the float, I always ran them high because each of them that I worked on would run out of fuel on the top end, and it was recommended by "Steve", ETON America, LLC Tech Rep.....

Old 02-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
recommended by "Steve", ETON America, LLC Tech Rep.....
Maybe for Eton atvs but no such bulletin for Polaris atvs although they shared a lot of common parts with Eton atvs..Plus we never had that much fuel line left over to wrap in a bundle like you show..Similar,but every make and model had differences even when they shared some common components.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Maybe for Eton atvs but no such bulletin for Polaris atvs although they shared a lot of common parts with Eton atvs..Plus we never had that much fuel line left over to wrap in a bundle like you show..Similar,but every make and model had differences even when they shared some common components.
^^^^^^ Ok. I guess I would have thought that since the early 2000's models Polaris's and Yammies ( kid's little two strokes, the 90cc ) were basically rebadged ETON's that Polaris would rcv the bulletins as well.....my bad OPT..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 polaris scrambler 90cc 2 stroke problems