Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer not working

Problem #3! Since I bought this 03 sportsman the speedometer hasn't worked, so I have no awd either. The speedometer is brand new so anybody know what I should check first?

Old 02-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ckieffer29
Problem #3! Since I bought this 03 sportsman the speedometer hasn't worked, so I have no awd either. The speedometer is brand new so anybody know what I should check first?
No display on speed or nothing at all? If it's not displaying speed it's usually a hall effect sensor located on the right front caliper that shorts out. aIf it's black,probably a connection problem. Should be a red wire that's hot at all times in the speedo connector for memory. Pins can pull back from connectors causing problems also. Best to have the manual on this as it goes into detail on the 16 pin harness connector and trouble shooting.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

Okay that's what I was hoping for. Everything works except the speed. I took it to a shop to get the awd fixed and the first thing they did was order a $400 speedometer and it took them 2 months to do it. I finally got tired of waiting so I picked it up and when the part came in I put it on myself.. no changes

Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One last thing on this model is the Ducati ignition system. Most end up failing,so take this as a heads up if you haven't run into that yet. The replacement Kokusan complete kit is #2202603. Ain't cheap,but solves the ignition problems the 600 and 700 models had.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

Would that affect the speedometer?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

With the Ducati system anythings possible as it can kill ignition and power. Here's a 700 and what all the kit involves.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Oh man I hope I dont have to replace all that

Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then best to just spend the 5 bucks on the manual as it goes into detail on the 16 pin speedo connector along with a good wiring diagram.Problem may just be in the harness not the entire system.2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 02-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

Okay I ordered a hall effect sensor and it finally arrived so I just put it on today. It fixed my speedometer so I jacked it up and still no awd. Could there be something unplugged or broken wires or something? Not sure what to check next

Old 02-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

With a volt meter or test light check that you have voltage to the front diff hot wire with the key on,in gear and awd button engaged.You can check this at the connector. If you have power,then could be a faulty ground wire or internal diff problems as these centralized systems had problems with roller cages cracking.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse One other step you can take (if diff power wire has voltage) is to regound the differential brown wire to a better ground site and see if awd works then.

Quick Reply: Speedometer not working