Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Bypass/Plug back brakes sportsman 500

Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass/Plug back brakes sportsman 500

So... I was replacing the rear wheel bearings on my 02 sportsman 500 and while i was putting everything back together i used a screwdriver to stop the brake disk from spinning while i tightened the wheels. Long story short, I forgot to remove the screw driver and when I drove the quad it snapped the rear caliper. I know I will need a new caliper however I'm not sure what it was connected too, crank case?

My questions:

1. How can I bypass/plug the back brakes temp so I can use the quad for plowing my driveway, while I order the replacement parts.
2. Can anyone tell from the pictures what the caliper gets screwed onto?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Bypass/Plug back brakes sportsman 500-img_0065.jpg   Bypass/Plug back brakes sportsman 500-img_0066.jpg   Bypass/Plug back brakes sportsman 500-img_0067.png  
Old 03-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Doesn't matter about line 6 as it goes from the small rear master cylinder and separate from the main brake lines. Line 5 is the line you need to block off as it ties in to the "tee" block with the two front brake lines. Try a good hardware store about finding a cap to block off this line leading into the caliper. Then bleed the front calipers to remove any air. Used calipers are on ebay. Ooops, took a second look at the caliper mounting pic and see that you've broken the caliper mounting studs on the transmission. No way to mount a caliper.. have to live with front brakes only by blocking off line 5 or finding a used transmission.. Sorry that this happened to you..

Old 03-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT for the quick reply AGAIN! You have been awesome with the all my questions/problems. Dumb mistake by me on this one!

Is there anything you would recommend capping the line with?

Scott

Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Again a good hardware or auto store can usually help. Remove the lines and take the caliper in to find the right size fitting. Finding a cap then will be easy. Think it's a 7/16 x24 pitch fitting but don't hold me to it...

Attached Thumbnails Bypass/Plug back brakes sportsman 500-lrs-8025_4269.jpg  
Old 05-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know these are a little old, but this forum has saved me countless times. I signed up just to thank you guys for the help! I busted the inner portion of the brake ramp assembly on my '97 Sportsman. I can't find anything that'll work. Any advice, Mr. Polaris guru? Again, thanks for the countless hours you've already saved me.