Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

smoke blowing in airbox

Old 05-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke blowing in airbox

hey guys, I'm back with a new machine and new question. I recently was given a 96 magnum 425 4x4. thing is about brand new only has 199 miles on it. well the previous owner tried to do something and the carb was in pieces, I cleaned it, and got it back together and it fires right up! my issue is, its blowing smoke from the line that goes from the oil tank to the airbox. I've never seen that before, if I take the oil cap off it has smoke coming out of the oil tank. can't figure out what's going on?!?! it has plenty of oil in it.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the oil for any gas smell/contamination since the previous owner was screwing with the carb. Plus pull the vent line at the air box and blow back through it with the dipstick out. Only ones I've seen smoke have been gas contaminated or coolant contaminated from a seeping head gasket.Plus if I remember right this was a dual line vent on the tank.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks opt. life has gotten in the way, haven't been able to check things out yet. I'll report back when I do!