Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2009 Polaris Sportsman Touring Misses and bogs

Old 08-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Polaris Sportsman Touring Misses and bogs

Hello, I just purchased a 2009 Sportsman touring with 890 miles on it. I have noticed that when the unit warms up and you have been driving it for 30 minutes it seems to sputter and miss fire when you hit speeds of 30 - 45 mph. If you hit the throttle it still goes but it misses. I have replaced the fuel filter and noticed that the white wire on the Injector harness was bare in one spot. I have ordered a new wire kit. Has anyone else had this problem or would you think a bare injector wire could cause this? New plug and air filter is on the unit. Tks

Old 08-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bare injector wire,crank sensor wires rubbing against the starter,soft wires that have melted internally,etc. Most of the problems like this were tbap related,but can happen anywhere on the thin wiring and connectors. Look at the "sticky" section post on 700/800 efi problems at the top of this section. Applies to all machines. There is a site that offers better repair kits than Polaris has.https://otbpowersports.com/

Old 08-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Bare injector wire,crank sensor wires rubbing against the starter,soft wires that have melted internally,etc. Most of the problems like this were tbap related,but can happen anywhere on the thin wiring and connectors. Look at the "sticky" section post on 700/800 efi problems at the top of this section. Applies to all machines. There is a site that offers better repair kits than Polaris has.https://otbpowersports.com/

Tks for getting back to me regarding this! I will get fixing asap.
Warren

Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech, you were right about bare wires. They were bare in the harness. Also found all three wires to be worn and shorting against each other on the throttle position sensor. Fix all the wires and it runs like a kitten.

Tks again Warren

Old 08-24-2016, 03:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you just repaired the wires it may last a little while. If it acts up again just get connector and harness repair kits from https://otbpowersports.com/products/