Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

08 sportsman 800 turn key squak

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 sportsman 800 turn key squak

Hey there. Hoping someone might have had this problem. I realize now that i bought a lemon and trying to get her runnin. When I turn the key it squaks somethin fierce. Nasty sound. It started a few times but now it just makes the noise and seems to cut out. I removed the starter yesterday and going to see if i can get it rebuilt but imagine it must be something else making that noise. Anyone have this happen before and or know what else i might need to replace? And can i do it myself? Any help or info is greatly appriciated. Im new to this and learning as I go so more detail the better lol. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't rebuild an old starter. Cheaper just to replace it and the bendix at the same time. The bendix is probably probably making the noise you're talking about. DB Electrical - Polaris ATV Starter-Drive Combo Sportsman Ranger 600 700 800 Just pull the flywheel cover and the old bendix can be wiggled out.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome. Thanks so much OPT. I'll order that right now and let ya know how I make out when I get it here.

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Don't rebuild an old starter. Cheaper just to replace it and the bendix at the same time. The bendix is probably probably making the noise you're talking about. DB Electrical - Polaris ATV Starter-Drive Combo Sportsman Ranger 600 700 800 Just pull the flywheel cover and the old bendix can be wiggled out.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

So i got the starter out fine last week and then havent had any time to work on the bike again until today. I got the flywheel cover off but the bendix doesnt slide out. The videos online show you can just mesh the teeth and pull it out but mine catches on the back. (vids are 500's) Everything looks pretty good in there but i dont really know what damage i would be looking for. I dont have the ability to remove the flywheel so what would you suggest i do? Im not sure if i can post pics on here but it all looks really clean and opens and closes nicely and the spring pushes in and pops out. I had expected to find it coroded if it was causing issues.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

So i got the starter out fine last week and then havent had any time to work on the bike again until today. I got the flywheel cover off but the bendix doesnt slide out. The videos online show you can just mesh the teeth and pull it out but mine catches on the back. (vids are 500's) Everything looks pretty good in there but i dont really know what damage i would be looking for. I dont have the ability to remove the flywheel so what would you suggest i do? Im not sure if i can post pics on here but it all looks really clean and opens and closes nicely and the spring pushes in and pops out. I had expected to find it coroded if it was causing issues.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bendix may just need to be greased.Use any type of good grease on the shaft and moveable parts and work it back and forth.Plus if you can get a little grease in the bushings where the bendix rides. One in the cover one in the engine.The 700/800 bendix is stronger than the one in the Sportsman 500. Here's a video on the 500 and how it can be remove for cleaning or replacement. Been so long now but can't remember if you can wiggle the 700/800 bendix out or have to remove the flywheel. Look at the 6 minute mark on the video.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks i will try to grease it up. That is one of the videos i watched and mine is different. I have read that the flywheel defenetly has to come off and that is beyond my skill level lol. Thanks for the info

Old 09-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can get a cheap harmonic balancer puller to pull the flywheel at Autozone,Napa,etc for 20 bucks or so if the bendix needs to be replaced. OEM Harmonic balancer puller kit 27019- Read6Reviews onOEM #27019 Or you can rent one with a refundable deposit at most auto stores.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No charge

Hey again. So took the bike out for a good rip. It was starting great until the batt died. I decided to take it to the dealership to get a good greasing and fluids changed and have them look it over for me. One main issue is its over charging out of stator. One lead is 50 ac volts and the other is millivolts. They said i needed a new stator AND flywheel that was gonna be well over $1000. I found a stator online for 200. Why would i need a new flywheel too? Were they just saying that to get another 400 bucks out of me or what?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can check yourself on charging with a new battery if the old battery load tests bad. Should be charging 14 volts or more at an idle back to the battery. If not usually it's a regulator problem,but can be stator related. As far as a new flywheel? Unless the old one was damaged,shouldn't involve having to change one out.. I'd step back a little do a little checking myself. Sounds like a rip off..http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361523902679?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Quick Reply: 08 sportsman 800 turn key squak