Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

98 sportsman 500 starting issues

Old 10-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman 500 starting issues

Hi opt, my wheeler doesn't want to start with out starting fluid. Once running it runs and idles great. I am confused. I did a rebuild kit a couple months ago and everything has been fine since. Now it just doesn't want to start. I just replaced the starter and now it is happening. Help

Thank u

Old 10-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Keeping stabilizer in the fuel? Could be one reason if you haven't,plus I'd pull the fuel line from the carb and see if the pump has a steady stream of fuel. Plus simple things like needing a new plug,dirty air filter,etc.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Keeping stabilizer in the fuel? Could be one reason if you haven't,plus I'd pull the fuel line from the carb and see if the pump has a steady stream of fuel. Plus simple things like needing a new plug,dirty air filter,etc.
The fuel pump I thought works off the compression of the motor through the carb. Am I mistaken? I am going to change the fuel filter. I don't know if it is in the right spot but since I have had the wheeler it has been in the same location. It is between the shut off and the carb. Just to clarify I will change the filter and then take the line off the carb turn the gas on and try to start the wheeler and what the strem of gas that comes from the line? I bought a new air filter and the spark plug that is in it I just put in a couple months ago but I can change that also. I figure I will just drain the gas and put new gas in it. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb many times but this last time I could not believe how black the inside of the carb was! The stuff didn't come off when I sprayed carb and choke cleaner on it, I literally had to scrub the stuff off. And it was weird the wheeler fired right up afterwards but now that I think about it I have had to play with the throttle to get it running.
Thanks opt

Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pump works off engine vacuum. Keep stabilizer in it and you may not have problems a couple months later.

Attached Thumbnails 98 sportsman 500 starting issues-index.png  
Old 10-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Took the spark plug out, I don't have a spare and the parts store did not have one in Stock. It was black, I cleaned it up and put dielectric grease in the boot, waiting for new air filter and tomorrow will check the fuel pump. Will update with the results

Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'm not too keen on just cleaning up plugs and reusing them. Doesn't always work as a plug can still cause problems. Get a new one and gap it at .028.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good evening opt,

I got home and took the line off of the carb and the gas gravity fed out through the line I tried to start it and it just kept on pouring out the same way with no force, I put my finger over the end of the hose and no pressure built. So I would think the pump is bad or I have a hole in one of the black vacuum lines or a blockage somewhere? Also I wanted to run something past you. I was talking to the mechanic at work and explained about the black tarnish looking stuff in the carb last time I cleaned it and he was thinking it was the black lines coming apart on the inside. Have you ever seen or heard of that? He recommended I change all thelse lines to the clear lines.
Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fuel pumps sounds like it needs to be replaced.. Not necessary to change the fuel lines if you keep marine Stabil, Star-tron,etc that helps stops ethanol from eating rubber and helps keep the fuel from attracting moisture. Fuel pumps are cheap also.Fuel Pump for Polaris Sportsman 400 500 600 Magnum 325 Outlaw 450 Predator ATV | eBay

Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Okay thank you opt, I will update with results once it arrives.
Greatly appreciated!

Old 10-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hi opt, update, just put the fuel pump in, what a horrible job that was lol. Put a new sparkplug and air filter in. Tried to start the wheeler and no luck. I took the line off of the carb and gas spurts out now when the wheeler is turning over. I put the line back on the carb and noticed the filter was not filling with gas so I pressurized the gas tank and filled the filter with gas. I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start so I sprayed some starting fluid in the air cleaner and it started right up and idled and ran fine. I shut the wheeler off and it wouldn't start. I full choked it and with playing with the throttle got it to start. Idle and ran fine. Shut it off and tried to start it again with no luck, I had to full choke it and play with the throttle and it started again. Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 sportsman 500 starting issues