Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

93 Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Sportsman

Hi, I am helping a neighbor with his 93 Sportsman 4x4 Drive Chain and Sprockets.
Do other models fit it?
I have seen "kits" on the internet that include all the chains and sprockets, but the closest I can find are for a 94 400 and when inquired it says "does not fit".

Looking at Polaris parts sites I found only a small difference in sprocket sizes; 93 center front = 12T vs 94 13T
and Final (gearcase) front = 12T vs 94 = 13T

So my question is: will the 94 400 Sportsman chain and sprocket parts fit? are they interchangeable? My experience suggests that buying it all in a kit should accommodate the differences in sprocket size?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ran into this before. The center and front eccentric shafts are the same,used on both machines so the sprockets would interchange,but the transmissions are different on the 350 and 400 and if I remember correctly their final drive shaft dimensions and splines are different size also. As far as the rear sprocket the drive shafts are different part numbers also and may be some differences there on the mounting plate. Kits are the cheapest way to go,but may not always work. The 350 was only made for 4 years(90-93) versus the the 400 that was made from 94 to 2003 in various models. Looking at the parts break down the rear drive shaft mounting hubs use the same part number and sprockets should interchange. The basic differences is in the transmission shaft area and sprockets. Appears the 350 and 400 use the same 3221058 outer sprocket on the gear case(that goes to the middle eccentric sprocket)SO I assume a complete swap out would work. I do remember one or so models that the sprockets and shaft dimension were different but you might get lucky on the 400 kit with no mounting problems..

Last edited by old polaris tech; 10-22-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: rear drive shft sprocket hub.. Correction..
Old 10-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I did not think to look at the mounting. Even then It could come down to different splines and such. But I'll dig into that later today. I'll share if I find anything worth knowing. It might help someone else.