Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light

My battery light started flashing on my 03 600. It runs good and everything it just started doing this one day. Someone told me it's a bad regulator so I ordered a new one but Ithe hasn't came in yet. Is there anything else it could be if that's not the problem? Its never died but I always take it back to camp as soon as it starts. I've noticed ifor it sits and idles for a second it goes away, probably coming on when the fan does.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You again... What was the charging rate back to the battery at an idle? Should be around 14 volts or so. Like we talked about if you still have the Ducati ignition,trash it and get the Kokusan IF you plan on keeping the 600 engine. Charging problems was just one of the problems the Ducati system had along with hard starting back, firing and leaving people stranded. Possibly could be a regulator,but if it's the stator,they're NLA,plus the stator will fail sooner or later. Plus don't even bother with the cheaper RM ignition kit as it uses the Ducati lighting coil for an ignition source and it can fail also and your stuck again if it goes out. Just get the #2202603 Kokusan kit and be done with it. Comes with a new stator,flywheel,cdi,coil regulator,jumper wires plus it changes this system to the later,more reliable dci ignition system.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

Haha ya I knew you'd mention my old system. I haven't had a chance to look into it much or test anything. I'm just dreading the $500 or more if my old one will last another year, but I know eventually I'll need to upgrade

Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Ckieffer29
I haven't had a chance to look into it much or test anything.
Don't even bother on testing anything!! I went through this same thing before the updated kits came out. I replaced coil packs,regulators to only have them come back in when complete stators died. After going back and forth on about 5 or 6 like this I went to order a new Ducati stator for one and found that Polaris has suddenly substituted the stator with the new complete kits. Dealers weren't informed on the change by any sort of bulletin and nether were customers as it was an over night thing by Polaris. ALL of these ignitions should have been on a recall but weren't. I've changed out enough of these parts to know it's like chasing your tail,you ain't gonna catch it. Don't be fooled by any used Ducati parts on ebay either as some have found out the hard way also. Bite your tongue,save your nickels and dimes if you have to and get the right kit.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

How hard is the kit to change? I'm guessing it's new stator, coil, regulator, what else?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is the best video I've found. Shows the 700,but the 600 installation is basically the same other than the jumper wires provided.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

Oh wow that don't sound bad at all

Old 10-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I did mine and I consider myself a novice mechanic. Just follow the videos and take your time. I think the hardest for me was getting the flywheel off...

Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Big600twin
I did mine and I consider myself a novice mechanic. Just follow the videos and take your time. I think the hardest for me was getting the flywheel off...
The 600,700 and 800 flywheels were the hardest to get off and if you're not careful you can damage the shaft end. Here's a good video on what it takes to pop one off.It's a 700 engine on a dune buggy.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Well the cheap regulator I had ordered on ebay finally came in and I got it on and rode it around some then it started flashing "statr" and the battery light would still flash. Sounds like a new kit is what I'll have to end up getting.. you got a link to order the right one?