Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

How Does Polaris ADC Work?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How Does Polaris ADC Work?

I'm curious. How does the Polaris Active Descent Control work? The machine does offer some engine compression braking through the CVT "belt", especially in low range.

The hill descent control on heavy duty pickups is a special control that activitates the brakes to maintain a very slow speed, especially when you have a 15,000 pound trailer behind you. It is used for off road descents mainly; construction sites and farms. The fact that other braking systems like power brakes, ABS, traction control, and skid control are already on the vehicle, it seems like maintaining a very slow downhill speed with the brakes can be added too.

But ATVs don't have these systems. So does Polaris apply brake pressure, or do they somehow slow the machine through the CVT clutches? Does the speedometer provide feedback to the system?

Inquiring minds want to know, and are too lazy to look it up.

David

Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 12-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with him that it should be 4x2. A 2x4 is a piece of lumber. Once I tested out my ADC going down a hill. I stopped and let go of the brakes and the quad didn't move. When it works right it really works.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, on ATV Connection, I ask a question and I get a perfect answer in an hour! Thank you kindly O.P.T, very helpful. I'm glad you retired so you can help thousands of us novices with our ATVs.

So there is a "computer" that senses speed less than 15 mph, and NO throttle input, and the switch is in ADC position. Then some device applies force to the front diff clutch pack. Maybe a solenoid, I don't know.

If you are in the ADC switch position and descending a steep Colorado grade, and then decide you would like to go a little faster and open the throttle some, the ADC presumably switches off and the ATV speeds up. Release the throttle and the ADC re-engages if under 15 mph. This might cause some herky jerky motions. I won't know until I try one.

Thanks again for the video link.

David

Search this Thread