Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

'03 Sportsman 700 AWD sounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad yours is up and running. As far as the friends 700,have him pop the front panel and check if has the Ducati combo cdi/coil pack or a separate cdi and coil(Kokusan) 2004 models made before 2/23/03 used the Ducati ignition. If he has it don't bother tracing problems,just junk it and get the Kokusan kit #2202602.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm looks like he got the updated system at least! Wonder if it's a stupid ground issue or something...

Old 01-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just start at the basics such as battery condition and grounds,connections,plugs,etc. If it gets too much more you just get the manual that can delve into problems further. 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good!

Old 01-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been trying to go through the manual you posted and ohm some things out and still having issues with getting spark on my friends '04, it's wierd I'll literally get one spark when I turn it over and then no more, and I have to turn the key completely off and then turn it over again just to get that single spark again. If I just keep the key held to start it'll crank but won't consistently give a spark, just literally like one spark right in the beginning. When I initially try and start it it'll spark once, and if I keep the key on and try starting it again it won't spark, I actually have to turn the machine off and then back on to get that single spark again.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Possible that the pick up coil is the problem or rather the distance from the flywheel.Several people have posted the same thing on the one spark problem,one solved his by slotting the pick up coil bracket to where it was able to move a tad close to the flywheel tab. Worth a try. Plus could be as simple as dirt on the pick up coil face and flywheel not allowing a consistent spark.