Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes

I took some pictures of the exhaust lobe of my camshaft. I think it's a bit worn but still good. But I'm no expert. Can you tell from the pictures if it's still good to use?

Attached Thumbnails Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes-photo129.jpg   Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes-photo190.jpg   Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes-photo605.jpg   Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes-photo355.jpg   Please comment on my camshaft exhaust lobes-photo247.jpg  

Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

From what I can tell the exhaust lobe looks as good as the intake lobes.Not all cam lobes wore down,but quite a few did from from the old Magnum 425s and Sportsman 500s until the HO cams came out .

Old 01-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Range Rover

Thank you!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The 4th pic looks the best as far as any excessively worn places on the exhaust lobe. Lobes appears ok. While you're there adjust/check the valve clearance.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

The clearance was off. Hopefully explains some of my issues with hard starts, impossible hot starts, some excessive noise, idle issues. The valves were all too tight.

Will put it back together today, need to clean the cover so I can put on a new gasket. First time using a feeler gauge, so I'll double check the clearances I set too.