Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Won't start when warm, instant plug fouling

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This is just plain bar stock since the bolt isn't long enough to touch the crank shaft.Several different pullers people have made or just break down and get the one made for it.Polaris ATV UTV Primary Clutch Puller, Sportsman Ranger, Etc (1985-2011) 2870506 | eBay

Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
This is just plain bar stock since the bolt isn't long enough to touch the crank shaft.Several different pullers people have made or just break down and get the one made for it.Polaris ATV UTV Primary Clutch Puller, Sportsman Ranger, Etc (1985-2011) 2870506 | eBay
Now I get it - the bolt pushes in the bar.
Thanks.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

Compression should be between 55-90 psi on average because of the compression release device. Even if you show between this amount still could be leakage from valves or rings causing plugs to oil up This is where a leak down test can tell.Plus if the carb is dripping,sounds like the float level is off.
Carb is fixed, with proper float level. Leak down test was no good because the timing chain was set wrong or had jumped. That is fixed now too. Finally got around to a compression test. Got 55 with first test. Then after pouring a tiny bit of oil in the spark plug hole I got 90 psi on my second test. Can't do another leak-down test unless I go back to the garage as I don't have the tools. I did notice the compression didn't hold very long with the first test, but stayed at 90 for a couple of min with the oil in the spark plug hole. Also, spark plug doesn't seem to be fouled with oil anymore, rather its fouled with carbon/soot.

Questions: I'm not going to use my ATV often, one week of hunting and the occasional weekend for a few hours. Does this sound like worn rings? Do I need to change them right away with 55 PSI? Or do I keep working on this until the spark plug stops fouling?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Is it running ok now? No smoke or bogging? If so,then run it.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

Is it running ok now? No smoke or bogging? If so,then run it.
Seems to be running ok now, need to take it out of the city for a better test on a trail. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

When you get tired of that noisy clutch,check out the ones on ebay.Polaris Magnum 500 Primary Drive Clutch 2000 | eBay Rear clutch if not too far gone itself and helix isn't ground down can be repaired by replacing the three ramp buttons.Polaris Magnum 325 330 425 500 Secondary Clutch Buttons Cam Slider Shoes 5430766 | eBay