Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

SOS MAJOR Fuel leak Polaris Xpress 300 1999

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, it runs, takes choke to start every time, is being pretty bitchy about it, and is smoking like the fires of hell from the exhaust (which I am pretty sure is oil burning off, took video to verify, shop is now flooded with smoke, put a squirrel cage fan on this thing to stop is from blowing back in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YccYS6BPGHA&feature=share

Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, got the lower half the throttle to behave, now the upper half is running quite rich, as in seeing mist pooling up on the exhaust tip rich, moving the E clip on the needle jet to the top position, as it is currently second from the top. If that does t help, I will try old needle too. At least I got the idle sorted out.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, done for the day, final tally on this: lower 1/3 works nicely, everything above that gets angry and backfires on occasion so hard that I immediately cut it off because I think I blew something in the engine up, or blew the back of the muffler off. Starting it is a crapshoot now, but doesn't take jamming choke to on. Sometimes it straight up cranks, others it meanders for a moment, and after a few starting then dying again a couple times, it will start, albeit weak, and touching throttle at first kills it. After about 30 seconds, I can manage to make the throttle respond again, with a bit of fiddling. Have the new needle jet from the kit in there still, with the E clip in the top position. Once it gets to the 1/3+ throttle area, it still smokes, but nowhere near as hard. Did the same stuff before, but not as bad in terms of backfiring. Wat do now?

Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hopefully with more running the smoking will go down. One other thing to try,if I haven't mentioned it already, is to pull the black wire at the terminal board that goes to the reverse limiter module as when they fail(all of them do) they can limit in forward range also.Might help.Item #27 on the parts break down is the location of the limiter. Doing this has brought some of these old machines back to life.

Attached Thumbnails SOS MAJOR Fuel leak Polaris Xpress 300 1999-index.png  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Hopefully with more running the smoking will go down. One other thing to try,if I haven't mentioned it already, is to pull the black wire at the terminal board that goes to the reverse limiter module as when they fail(all of them do) they can limit in forward range also.Might help.Item #27 on the parts break down is the location of the limiter. Doing this has brought some of these old machines back to life.
Last time I ran this in a ride, reverse limititer, and override were still functioning normally, and it still went bloody fast (for me, 45 MPH+). Have not touched the pixie board, should be fine. Will check when getting home.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

They can fail at any time...

Old 01-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

They can fail at any time...
Fair enough, but I like to have SOME optimism. Otherwise I would be president Trump without a promise to the people. Anyway, am about to check out the limiter, and will see if disconnecting it will help. First though, will try the other positions on the needle, and the old needle jet, to see if either of those work. I am reluctant to disconnect it if Ido t have to, as I have a bad habit of reversing a little too quickly

Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

Well, finally had some time to work on it. Get the carb out, and tightened all the jets and screws on the inside up, and leveled the float arm, and put it back together. It runs great, at stationary, at all revs. Under any kind of load, ie. moving on flat ground, she goes rich and smokes heavy. What now?

Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ride it a while,put some time on it. Smoking could be oil residue in the exhaust burning out. I'd still pull the black wire from the limiter module and leave it unplugged.It may be part of it if it runs boggy. Jet needle clip position can be dropped also. Install the clip in the first position(leaner) and see if it helps.If it still runs boggy,the main jet may need to be dropped a size or two. Stock jetting was a 155 main,45 pilot jet. Correct jetting depends on temperature and altitude you're at.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

Ride it a while,put some time on it. Smoking could be oil residue in the exhaust burning out. I'd still pull the black wire from the limiter module and leave it unplugged.It may be part of it if it runs boggy. Jet needle clip position can be dropped also. Install the clip in the first position(leaner) and see if it helps.If it still runs boggy,the main jet may need to be dropped a size or two. Stock jetting was a 155 main,45 pilot jet. Correct jetting depends on temperature and altitude you're at.
Pilot seems fine, the main needle jet is already in the 1st position. Have run it with and without the black wire. She smokes heavy and runs with weak power, tries to die. Also tries to backfire. Doesn't smoke at all stationary, until the top end, and even then, it is thin.