Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

How often do the temp switches that run the fan go out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do the temp switches that run the fan go out?

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500

How often do the temp switches that run the fan go out?

Do they ever fail while still showing 12 volts at the fan plug?

Mine has 12 volts at the fan plug as soon as the key is turned to run.

I have yet to check to see if it is delivering enough juice to run the fan.

I have had similar switches fail and still show they are delivering voltage. But not enough amps to run the item they were intended to power.

I will be installing a relay that will be triggered by the fan switch to run the fan. In hopes that this will extend the life of the fan switch.

Is it the load of the fan that kills the fan switch in the radiator?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Radiator sensors failed often. One side may show power,but the switch can be burnt inside and not able to trasnfer either power or ground signal to trigger the fan motor.Plenty of cheap 26 buck sensors on ebay.COOLING RADIATOR THERMAL SWITCH SENSOR Fits POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 4x4 2000-2003

Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Mine has power coming out of the switch to the fan.

I was curious as to whether these switches failed closed. From what I have read most of them fail open - or maybe nobody checked for voltage and just installed another switch and ran.

When I finally get outside, I will connect the fan and see if it runs.

Then I will install the relay.

What size inline fuse should I use on the relay I will install and toggle switch that the previous owner installed to run the fan?

The circuit breaker is 10 amp. Do I need to go with slightly bigger fuses?

I am assuming the circuit breaker is the auto resetting kind. Is that correct?

I am going to leave the toggle switch in place since it's already there. But I am definitely going to install a fuse in front of it.

When I install the relay to run the fan the existing fuse / circuit breaker will not be under the load. The load will be from the relay

Old 03-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The 10 amp resetting circuit breaker for the fan is in the sealed pouch under the front panel. The main 20 amp main circuit breaker is located up from the battery. Both of these do fine unless they corrode from moisture. You can find these cheap at any auto supply if you ever need one.

Attached Thumbnails How often do the temp switches that run the fan go out?-1000936wj9.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Since I will be installing my own circuit with the relay I will need to install a separate protection system.

I guess I will start with a 10 or 12.5 amp inline fuse - if that blows, I will go heavier.

I will leave the OEM circuit breaks as is to trigger the relay and set back to stock easily