Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

What is Fair

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Fair

my atv has been at a repair shop for 3 weeks and he cant figure out what is wrong with it. I want to pick it up and bring it to another dealer.

What is fair to pay him for his time? Again what ever I pay him I am getting nothing in return but want to be fair?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Pretty sure they'll bill you for whatever the hourly shop rate is.

Not sure that I'd call that fair since they didn't really fix it, but then it is the time they spent looking. If they'd have fixed it, those same hours, plus any extra it took would have been charged.

You might ask them what they think is a fair price for not fixing it. They may give you a discounted rate.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. They did fix what I thought it intially needed but there were a lot of other problems. I ended up giving them about $200 and took it home and sold it for parts. What it would have cost to fix the rest was more than it was worth. So I'm guessing your bill will be around $200 or so, that would be about 3 hours labor which I would guess was about what they have in it.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

ill let you know what happens but I feel the best I can do is offer him half his labor.

I want to be fair

Old 01-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

In my area many shops have a "diagnostic" fee, a charge to figure what is wrong and then the actual repair is on top of that. Around here it typically runs from 89.95 to 109.99. If he is a trained mechanic, I find it hard to believe he can't find the problem, or did he really look that hard? A lot will depend on how quickly another shop finds the problem

Old 01-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

He is going on having it in his shop for 4 weeks. I know he has worked on Polaris sleds and ATV's for at least 15 years. I feel like he is a technician replacing parts he thinks is wrong where a mechanic will find the problem and fix it.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Do they even have Digital Wrench at that shop or they just replacing parts? I'd offer what parts they replaced plus a diagnostic charge and get my machine back.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes they do have that. they are closed today I am doing that tomorrow. Calling them up and picking up my machine

Old 01-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Week 1 I don't think they did anything maybe look at it.
Week 2 said the battery needed to be replaced so Digital wrench would work($110 seam to start fine for me). Also tried the TPO sensor said that wasn't it.
Week 3 last week trying the IAC sensor that was on Thursday and haven't heard from him
Week 4 now I am so frustrated!!!!!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

My bike was at the dealer for 6 weeks. Went to pick it up once, not fixed, and finally when they figured it out, had to order the part.

Worst part is, I told them it could only be 3 parts. And to test all three would take about 1 hour, if they had (and you think they would) the right equipment.