Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2007 polaris sportsman 800 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 polaris sportsman 800 wont start

Ok so yesterday I bought a 2007 sportsman 800 efi. The guy said he had rebuilt the front diff and replaced the intake boot. I took for a test drive and everything felt fine. I get it to my buddy's house and all of a sudden the 4x4 don't work, but says in the cluster it activated. won't work in high low or reverse so we were gonna load it onto the truck and bring it to my house, as he was backing up it just died and now it won't start it turns over but the fuel pumps not kicking on and code 51 and 52 or appearing so we checked fuses relays everything is good. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP AND TELL ME IM NOT OUT $3400 ( also the guy claims he's the original owner I have the owners manual the DVD ever the emmisisions tags)

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You need more than just the owners manual.2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Service Manual PDF Download This cheap manual can help on electrical and mechanical repairs along with routine maintenance. Could be the fuel pump as many have had to be replaced over time. One way to tell is with a fuel pressure gauge. Should hold 39 psi+/- 2 psi as the manual calls for. Pumps are cheap if needed.2007 Sportsman 800 fuel pump | eBay Fuel injection section has the codes and how to check. Sometimes bogus codes may be thrown when another area has problems. Code 51 and 52 are injector codes and usually aren't a problem,but can show up if the fuel pump is bad. Get the manual and take it one step at a time.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for responding so quick I'm not very good with electrical stuff so I called a local shop and they said it was only gonna be about 30 bucks to diagnose it but when I also took off the seat I noticed some wires clued into the connectors so I asked if they would need to put a whole harness in it they said the only time they have ever had to do that was when one of them has caught fire I have an appointment to bring it down this week, do you have any advise on the 4x4 part I don't want the Bill to be to high at the dealer

Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Awd ground circuit goes through the speedo. You can by pass the speedo by jumping the brown/white wire(awd ground) to the brown(common ground) in the speedo harness. This usually allows you to regain awd.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you much I'm gonna look at be for I bring to the shop maybe something came unplugged I'm trying to avoid a dealer Bill at all

Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also by jumping them wires will it be all time 4wd or will it still shut off with the switch

Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Polarisxrider
Also by jumping them wires will it be all time 4wd or will it still shut off with the switch
All this does is by pass the speedo entirely for the awd ground circuit. If this solves the wiring problem on the awd(could be a mechanical issue also) then the awd switch and light should work properly.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you I'll let you no how I make out

Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I got it to run I took all the fenders came up with nothing so I cleaned the fuse box in the front with electrical cleaner and the fuel pump turned on and it started. Now I tried bypassing the awd and I got nothing still no 4x4 any advice

Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can get these Delphi replacement fuse blocks cheap as this was another common problem on the 800 if pins corroded.4 Way ATC/ATO Universal Fuse Holder Block Panel Delphi Packard w/Terminals Check that you have voltage to the front diff hot wire with key on and in gear. If you don't this can be fuse block related also.