Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 polaris sportsman 500 no power to switches

Old 03-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 polaris sportsman 500 no power to switches

I have a 2001 polaris sportsman. Was riding it recently and it smelled like burning electric. Upon inspection, noticed the cooling fan wires were melted and the fan was locked up. Got it home, removed the fan and replaced it. Now it has no power to any keyed functions at all. You can turn the key on and short across the solenoid and it starts and runs. No lights on dash, no head lights, no ignition function from Switch. I checked the main relay coming from the battery and it has power on both sides. There are no other bag relays under the hood and no other wires that have been hot or melted. I'm at a loss. Is there some kind do of fan switch or relay that is tied In with the ignition and dash/handlebar power?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You also have a fan circuit breaker(#3) along with the main circuit breaker. You can see if it's fried or any wires under the head light pod.Breakers are supposed to take the brunt of damage when something like this happens but not always. No lights,dash lights,etc can be from the main circuit breaker or the left control switch. You can start these machines with the recoil or cross the solenoid as the ignition is magneto triggered.Breaker may be tripping under a load also when you turn the key on.I'd still start at the 20 amp main breaker, work your way up to the control switch and under the pod area.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 polaris sportsman 500 no power to switches-d99c094f809770be5cddda9a0304d4d568aa2796.png  

Search this Thread