Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

95 polaris magnum 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 95 polaris magnum 4wd

Hi I have a 95 polaris Magnus 425 4wd and the awd is not working.i have checked everything I can think of and still I dnt working.replaced the oil in the front hubs and the light is also coming on in the awd to.any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Best way to tell is either jack all 4 tires off the ground and you can see if it's one wheel or both.May be as simple as the connectors under the front panel are unplugged or a ground problem. Another way is to have the bumper against a post or tree in soft dirt in awd.Other problems could be in the hub such as armature plates or hub coils themselves. Plus even though it's in awd mode,the front wheels don't kick in until the rear wheels slip. Here's a video on ice and how the awd works.Once the rear wheels regain traction,front wheels disengage and it becomes two wheel drive.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I like this one:

Old 03-06-2017, 11:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good illustration showing two wheel drive slip then how awd is supposed to work when you hit the switch.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes i have tried that already.nothing happens when all the tires are off the ground besides the back wheels spin.the light comes on but that s all.I took it all apart n everything looks good.I done checked the switch in the shifter to and made sure it was where it was supposed to be.when I took the hubs apart and I checked everything I noticed that when u mashed the button for the and the armature plate sticks but it easily comes off with your finger and I know it's not suppose to.I just don't know what to do from there.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check coil resistance on each strut. Should be around 24 ohms on the gray and brown wires.If this checks out make sure the strut coil sleeve and inner strut pole are even with each other and not ground down.Armature plates are also a weak link and cheap to replace. Hub nuts should be torqued to 12 foot pounds.Too tight or too loose and the mechanical function of the hubs won't work correctly even if the hub coils have power and ground wires are ok. The best fluid to use is still the Polaris Demand Drive Plus.

Attached Thumbnails 95 polaris magnum 4wd-2012-07-18_13-47-39_302.jpg  
Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I need to go buy a volt meter n make sure it has ohms on it?if it does check out then the armature plate may be bad?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Magteggy
Ok so I need to go buy a volt meter n make sure it has ohms on it?if it does check out then the armature plate may be bad?
Ohm meter just checks the coil resistance to see if it getting too weak to hold the armature plate tight enough while in awd mode. The plates themselves can warp over time and wear. 10 bucks each on the plates if they need to be replaced. See if this guys pics helps on the strut.AWD Hubstrut Hilliard Clutch Troubleshooting/Diagnoses - Polaris ATV Forum

Old 03-09-2017, 04:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I'll have to go buy one.I lost mine some where lol I'll check it and go from there.thank you for all your help and I'll get back to you.