Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 polaris sportsman 500 stalled wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 polaris sportsman 500 stalled wont start

Hi folks. A friend took the quad out for a ride and stalled it when putting it in reverse. I can't get it to start anymore. Always fired right up. Disconnected reverse override and reconnect. Still dead.

suggestions welcomed please.

thx

Old 03-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Simple things first like changing the plug or pulling the plug cap and see if you have spark with the bare wire. If spark isn't the problem,then could be something as simple as trash in the jets,fuel pump problem. Fuel pump you can check easily check by pulling the line from the carb and cranking the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel if the pump is ok. Plus this cheap manual has a good trouble shooting check list along with electrical tests if that's the problem area. 2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check for spark, have it. Changed the plug. Have fuel. Turns over but will not kick. This thing started on less than a pull if I pull started it. I believe it something to do with the reverse override because he had no idea you needed to use it when he put it in reverse. It started sputtering then died. Won't start now. Driving me crazy.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the owners manual link. I inherited the quad from my father in law. Didn't have any paperwork. Researching now...

Old 03-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This was a common problem on older ones even if they had spark.May not be the solution to your problem but you might try this as pick up coils could weaken from age and also clearances got larger. If this doesn't help then the manual could help you trace down the problem. The over ride button didn't have to be pushed in reverse,but would limit your speed to about 7mph or so if you didn't.no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community Plus it may be more related to this if you haven't already. Reverse Mod - ATVOBSESSION