2000 Xplorer 400 4 x 4 starters - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default 2000 Xplorer 400 4 x 4 starters

This one goes out to the OPT or anyone else with valued input. Do you or have you in your extensive experience in the trade ever tried sealing up the starters used on multiple units but specifically the 2000 Xplorer 400 4 x 4 with the starter on the bottom (Pretty **** poor design)of the unit. (From allowing moisture in) The new ones installed only last for a very short time in that location. I for one was wondering if thereís a fix. Those starters are a bear to get in and out of that unit. I was wondering if itís possible to maybe dip the starter or maybe spray it with something to help seal it from the outside in because them ďOĒ ring seals used on the outside donít seal all that well.
Thanks guys for your help
Beal
Old 03-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like a good idea on dipping one as long as you mask off the cable connector stud and nut.Don't go all the way to the housing as it needs to ground to the engine. Also I know it's a pain,but if you're going through a lot of water, drain the starter housing bolt. Not a bad idea either to silicone the recoil cover and also the rope handle to the cover. This may be where you're getting the most water.Agree that the starter on the bottom of the engine wasn't too bright to begin with.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thumbs up

Thanks OPT, knew you wouldn't mind chiming in. Anyone have any thoughts on that product used to seal the screen door and the boat bottom (Flexseal) in the TV commercial? That's what I'm thinking... How's about some ideas on other products.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't know about that infomercial stuff,but do know about this and have used it. Dip it or spray it.https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Moto Psycho

Liquid Tape might work too. I never used it but have seen pictures where it worked on electrical connections. https://plastidip.com/our-products/liquid-tape/