Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2009 Sportsman 500 restart problem after stall.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 Sportsman 500 restart problem after stall.

I don't get it above 25-30 mph. I might get a couple miles in a ride at most, but it is run 3-5 times a week. In the last couple months Ive had a problem with it shutting off after it has run for a little while. It isn't an overheating problem because it wont start period. It isn't getting fuel.

I read somewhere to try blowing compressed air into the gas tank. Then try starting it. Believe it or not. it worked the last three times. It does work but I don't carry an air tank with me everywhere I go.

Any idea what's causing it to stall and also why this fix works?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Tank vent line could be kinked or pinched causing a vapor lock. Also check the the fuel valve is open(5) and pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. If the pump is ok(15) there should be a steady stream of fuel to the carb.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Sportsman 500 restart problem after stall.-f8b8e6c566464e09ff8fff546726e7dde8df6029.png