Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

99 Polaris scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Polaris scrambler 500

I bought a 99 Polaris scrambler 500 that has been sitting for about 3 yrs. I replaced the battery,and it just clicked when I Tried to start it so I took the starter out,cleaned it up put it back in and it turned over but didn't fire. Checked for spark,no spark. So I replaced the coil,nothing, replaced the cdi box still nothing so I took the fly wheel off cleaned everything up around the magneto, Pitt it all back together with a new plug and she fired rite up. It ran for about 45 minutes then it just died and now I have no spark again. Can anyone help me?

Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't throw anymore parts at it,just get the service manual. Trouble shooting checks,electrical checks and resistance specs along with wiring diagram to help you find the problem. 8 bucks is cheap compared to pulling your hair out.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....pair-1999-2000

Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler 50

I downloaded the manual but it doesn't explain to me why I lost spark while it was running. I checked everything that it said to check but I'm getting no where.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

They can quit at any time..Look closer at the manual,shows resistance specs on the stator,ignition coil,plug cap,etc. Plus pull the black wire from the cdi and see if you have spark. If you do,could be a problem in the left control switch,ignition switch or associated wiring.If you have spark,the problem may be mechanical and the manual has sections and checks for that also.