Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 sportsman brake problem. A

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 sportsman brake problem. A

I have a 2000 sportsman 500 and I lost total brakes while driving.I have no pressure when pull on brake on handle.I thought I broke a brake line.but I'm not losing fluid.so I checked out master cylinder a
And I replaced the gaskets from a kit I bought from eBay..I still cannot get hardly any pressure even when pumped continyoulously.I have tried bleeding them but cannot get hardly any fluid out,the fluid is full.it just seems the master cylinder is not building up pressure..does something else go bad..?besides the gaskets on the piston.there is a slight rub mark on the inside of cylinder wherenthe piston slides back and forth in.does anyone know what I can do? Thanks in advance....

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

IF you know the repair kit is installed right,the beat way to "prime a master cylinder" is remove the line and place you thumb over the opening while pumping the lever until fluid starts to squirt out(use old towels to protect plastic!) I always primed the master cylinder BEFORE I installed it,makes it a lot easier. ANOTHER way is to clamp off brake line CAREFULLY (don't pinch the line) which will help prime the master cylinder. If none of this helps,you may have an air leak from the master cylinder piston! ALSO did you replace the master cylinder piston or just the bowl seals only?? What was in the ebay kit?? OPT

Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problem

The kit just comes with 4 gaskets,no piston,I know I installed it right cause I have another sportsman that I took out the piston that was working fine and tried it on the bike I'm working on.and did not work or get any pressure when pumped.so I put back in other atv and it worked fine again.so I don't think it's the piston or gaskets.it must have an air leak or I need to prime the master. I will try that and see what happens. Thanks ,elknr.