Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

Is what happened at Baja last weekend some kind of big secret?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is what happened at Baja last weekend some kind of big secret?

Side X Side Action

Check Point Times (go to bottom of the page for corresponding numbers and checkpoint times)

SPT UTV (660cc, 4-wheel utility vehicle)--
1801 Jason Raley/Banning, Calif/Tony Paley, Redlands, Calif., Yamaha Rhino
1802 Marty Fiolka, Polaris RZR
1803 Richard Nelson, Stevenson Ranch, Calif./Darryl Kysar, Castaic, Calif.,
Yamaha Rhino
1804 Todd Romano, Park City, Utah, Polaris RZR
1805 Cassey Currie, Polaris RZR
1806 Gili Hacohen, Israel/John McClure, Glendale, Ariz./Tomcar TM27R
1807 Matthew Kimmerle/Kelli Kimmerle, Glendale, Ariz., Tomcar TM27R
1808 Thomas Graves/Kelly Graves, El Cajon, Calif., Yamaha Rhino
1809 Jeff Creagan, Woodland, Wash./Chris Fallon, Battle Ground, Wash.
1849 Damon Cardone, Castaic, Calif./Brian Shalleen, Lake Elsinore, Calif.,
Yamaha Rhino

It appears that team 1808 isn't getting much credit for blowing away the rest of this field (according to these unofficial times).

Were they factory sponsored by the big boys with a fancy design shop or was this merely a private husband/wife or brother team simply showing off what they know?

Does anybody even care?

I'm assuming that the two identically prepared Rzrs pictured in photo #3 are DFR/ Polaris sponsored rigs; yet there was never any information released as to exactly how many Rzrs Polaris would back or even what their participation level would be.
To me, it's kind of like the 1st introduction of the Rzr at Antelope Valley all over again.

At least two Rzrs had mechanical problems (supposedly blown motor and tie rod issues); neither Rzr finished and absolutely no word from anybody afterwards as to what exactly happened in regards to details concerning these frequently expected failures.

In a small way, I don't blame anybody still racing this genuine test of teamwork, endurance and engineering for not saying anything afterwards....as 'apparently', very few out here in the general public seemingly give a rip as to exactly how these new machines perform in real-life situations or even where the weak points have revealed themselves...in the first place!
The net has been absolutely dead on this once respected and much anticipated race; with not even a hint of pre-race hype concerning either the Rzr or the well-established Rhinos, Prowlers or even XP's to boot.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem being the guinea pig and certainly expect to be so....it's just that back in '04 when many of us were in the same boat on the initial Rhino deliveries.....we seemingly had much more company and knew one heck of a lot more about these machines then at this present point in time.(and what a great bunch of guys those were).