Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

New Polaris RZR - First ride at Silver Lake Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Polaris RZR - First ride at Silver Lake Dunes

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GregV

Ok.....I just got back from a trip to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears Michigan.

All I can say is that I am going to have a BIG decision next time I go to the Dunes!!!!!!

RZR or Raptor...... The RZR absolutly ROCKED!!!!! I was pounding through the ruts and whoops at 50 mph!!!

I brought my son with me and he loved it! He wore a chest protector, helmet, goggles & gloves. The seat belt worked great!! I did have to air my tires down to 2 psi....I was able to climb every hill in the place and could go anywhere I wanted!!

I watched as the Rhino's attempted the first big hill and got hung up 3/4 the way up and backed down and then went AROUND the hill.

It was AWESOME!!! I can't say enough about it!!

One quick word about the flag situation though.....I was up late the night before fashoning a way to mount the flag in the bed only to find out that if your vehicle has a steering wheel, the flag HAS TO BE IN THE FRONT!!!

I do think that a lot of the jerkyness at slow speeds (light throttle spring) was me getting used to a pedal VS a Thumb Throttle. I did put an automotive snow/mud floor mat in it so I would have something to dig my heal into.....That helped alot too.

Anyone wanna buy a screaming fast Raptor?? ha ha</end quote></div>

Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Airing down to 2 psi worked VERY well with the stock tires.

Stock is 8 psi on all 4 tires.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Still waiting for a review done in muddy/swampy conditions. Everything I've seen so far is in the desert/dunes.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

First up...I am SOOOO glad to be able to recognize where somebody is riding for a change. Most of the places people are riding is WAY south of MI.

Second...If you want to see some shoots of RZR in the mud, go to the HL website and check out the mud nationals pictures. HL had some of the RZR's running in the mud down there, and it looked killer!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cordachine
First up...I am SOOOO glad to be able to recognize where somebody is riding for a change. Most of the places people are riding is WAY south of MI.
.."!</end quote></div>

It is nice to know that area and hear someone conquer it all on a bone stock machine. They have done a nice job with Silver Lake and I would even call it the crown jewel of our entire massive Michigan system in terms of the pure multi-use aspect and (refreshingly) no one group sticking their chest out at the other at the expense of the overall riding experience.

Just a great area overall and really the southern start of a fantastic near lakeshore community stretching to the bridge and beyond that few get the chance to come up here and experience (I'm sure it's hard to understand for most that don't or haven't lived here; but this area truly is a national treasure).

Old 06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Me and a small group of people just went to Little Sahare in Waynoka, OK. One of the guys that went just got his RZR. We all drove it and loved it. He didn't even let any air out of his tires and he went everywhere that we did on quads w/paddles. Even up the biggest dune there without a problem. He especially tried to make sure that guys in prowlers and rhinos saw him every time. I got about 3 ft of air under all four tires at one point and it landed like a cadillac.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I may be taking a trip to Hatfield / McCoy trails in a couple of weeks. If that works out I will let you guys kow.

So far, so good!!!

I'm not looking to see how deep I can get it, but some mud will be fine. ha ha

Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Give us an idea as to how things have changed down there when you go; as I haven't been there since before they first opened the hill climb/bar south of Logan (still there)?.

Did they ever connect Buffalo Mountain and Rockhouse? (wasn't there a north/south highway once proposed right in the middle of those two systems?).

Did they finish the trail directly across the street from the trailhead at Delbarton?

Thanks and have fun.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Honeyduck96

Still waiting for a review done in muddy/swampy conditions. Everything I've seen so far is in the desert/dunes.</end quote></div>

Yeah, me too. Seat height seems a lot lower than your average quad. I go through some pretty deep **** with my quad and it would seem sitting in the RZR the water would be up to my thighs. Also wondering about the intake and how high it is mounted.

Larch