Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

Polaris just turnes off when driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris just turnes off when driving

My 92 polaris four trac 300cc just randomlu turnes off when driving. Then restarts. I dnt know why. Cleaned carb it gets gas. Can anyone help?

Old 02-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbainter
My 92 polaris four trac 300cc just randomlu turnes off when driving. Then restarts. I dnt know why. Cleaned carb it gets gas. Can anyone help?
Sure you don't mean a Honda? Regardless of what brand it is if you have a key chain on the ignition key,the weight and vibration can turn an ignition off.Several posts on that over the years. Always have the key by itself.May or may not be your problem,but worth a shot.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default They key itself has nothing on it.

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sure you don't mean a Honda? Regardless of what brand it is if you have a key chain on the ignition key,the weight and vibration can turn an ignition off.Several posts on that over the years. Always have the key by itself.May or may not be your problem,but worth a shot.
Yes honda, the key has nothing on it. Most of the time it will restart once we put it back in neutral. Sometines however it wont do anything. And i have to remove the spark plug, push the start button a couple times then put the spark plug back in and then it starts. Also i dnt know if this has any thing to do with it but the person we recently bought it from out in a battery too large and we cant put the cober back over it.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Start at the source and load test the battery and also check that the regulator is charging at an idle or slightly above. Should be around 14-14.5 volts back to the battery. Plus I'd get the correct battery for it anyway. At least you could eliminate the battery and charging as a problem,then you could check further if that's not the cause of your problem.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Cbainter
Yes honda, the key has nothing on it. Most of the time it will restart once we put it back in neutral. Sometines however it wont do anything. And i have to remove the spark plug, push the start button a couple times then put the spark plug back in and then it starts. Also i dnt know if this has any thing to do with it but the person we recently bought it from out in a battery too large and we cant put the cober back over it.
From what your describing, sounds like you might have a fuel issue. It doesn't die while giving it throttle....just when you let off the throttle? Or does it die no matter what the throttle position/speed is?