Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1998 Polaris Trail Boss (Need Help)

Old 10-26-2003, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Polaris Trail Boss (Need Help)

I am having a number of problems and was hoping someone may not how to best approach this. My 4wheeler has always been a little hard to start I just passed it off as a flaw of a 2-cycle. I took it down to the deer woods recently and got stuck out there for several hours tell the darn thing finally decided to start. What it has been doing is as follows:

1. From a cold start...it will usually start and idle just fine. I wait for a few minutes to let it warm up.

2. It will run like a scalded-*** ape

3. When you let off the trottle it won't come back down to the normal idle.

4. It dies, then won't start up very easily and often times not for several hours.

I am not a mechanic so I had my uncle who is take a look at it and it was our initial impression that the carbrator needed to be rebuilt and finely tooned. We did that and had it running great. It still needs to be chocked to start even when it's warm. We took it out and drove it around came back to the shop and it immediately started doing the same thing. I died, couldn't start it back. Finally did after a few minutes. I got it back to the house, started up (after first hit) and let it idle for about 15 minutes then reved it up to see if it would come back down to a normal idle like you'd expect it to do only it continues to come down to a unstable idle after being driven or "reved" and subsequently if you let it...it will die.

My question is; does anybody know what the problem could be? I'm racking my brain and can't come up with the answers. It has had a habitial problem fouling plugs and I figure it is because it's always ran too rich...but we've adjusted everything and still yet it appears that we have yet to hit on the actual problem. I may end up taking it to the Polaris Dealership I bought it from but I've never been happy with them since they sold this particular 4 wheeler to me and gave me the impression it was a 1999 model I didn't know otherwise tell I got all the paper work.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a compresion check it needs at least 100lbs+ to start and run.When it is cold if it is low they will start but will act like yours is.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help, I figured thats what it's going to take. Sounds like a job for my local Polaris Dealer.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Hey it aint htat hard to pull the head and cylinder and take the piston off.Just take the piston and cylinder to a dealer and have it bored to the next size .Put new rings on the piston new gaskets and torque it all up and get after it.Will save you around $150

Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe check for air leaks in the intake manifold, just my 1.2 cents Canadian, I know in chain saw irratic idling and reving can be caused by air leaks. Must be up to 1.4 cents now

Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the bolt (blow out hole) out of the muffler and blew out 15 minutes worth a blue smoke...that had to help something. I still think it's running too rich. It acts like it's floading after come down from a high idle...very weird stuff. I don't have the right stuff to do a compression check so I'll likely keep on screwing with it tell a fix it, get happy with it...or just plain give up and take it to get it fixed by a pro.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well took it to the "Dealer" and got an estimate. They want $800 to rebuild the top end. I of course told them that I'll rebuild it myself.
I'd like advise on where I can find the right parts. I know Partsland.com appears to have everything, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Quad Patrol

First off get you a manual for this bike then take the head and cylinder off and the piston.Take the piston and cylinder to a shop to get it mic ed to see how much it needs bored.then get on Ebay and find a wiesco piston kit and wrist pin bearing,then find a gasket set.When you get the piston take it and your cylinder to a machine shop to get it bored to the piston.Now just put it back together the same way it came apart.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to go ahead and pay the $800 to have the dealer do your top end because at that price they must surely be gold plating the entire top end. What kind of ripoff is that. The parts couldn't cost them much more than $100 so the rest would be all labor.
You could take that $800 and do your own top end plus get it ported and still have money left over for some sweet mods.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, got Dad on it!! He's an old mechanic that loves a good challenge.

Got a question for those who might no.

I went to the Pistons-Online site as ftwflh suggested. They don't list my quad by name. They show kits for the following:

Trail Blazer 250 (I'm assuming it's the same thing as my Trail Boss 250)
Scrambler
Trail Boss 4x4 (never heard of a Trail Boss 4x4 but I'll take there word for it)

They don't list a Trail Boss 250 by name. Anybody know?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Polaris Trail Boss (Need Help)