Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

So what is next for the Sportsman since the Ruby has supposedly put the heat on

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2000, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well fellows a lot of people think the new Ruby will be the new king just ask Dirt Wheels yeah right. So what do you think this will force Polaris to do, I really think if the Ruby would have put a 2 to 4 wheel drive lever, improved the 4 wheel drive, disc brakes and a IRS on the Ruby Polaris would be sweating. I am not going to say that the Ruby is just a foreman with a new trans but really fellows it is not much more, I am getting sick at my stomach reading how the buckboard, hay wagon solid axle rear end on the Ruby comes anywhere near comparing to IRS, and no I haven't rode the Ruby but I don't have to be a rocket science to know you can do just so much with a solid axle rear end. I have built hot rods from the ground up and a solid axle is a solid axle you can only do so much with it but it is not going to give you the ride or movement an IRS will. It still when hitting a bump on one side makes the other side move resulting in more movement of the overall machine you are riding, and when hitting rough stuff the whole rear end gives not just one part of it so someone please tell me how the h#ll you can compare a solid axle to an IRS. With getting that off of my chest if the Ruby is putting the heat on the Sport here is some refinements I think Polaris will venture:

1. A suspension that can be lowered or raised
2. something similar to power steering
3. a trans that is auto or standard that could be locked in or out and with true 4 wheel hold back
4. shift on the fly from low to high on the auto and a electric shift instead of mechanical low to high I must admit this needs work cause it can be a pain
5. Improve the weight with the rising cc of the engine

What is some of your thoughts on this fellows I guess it really gets down to what you want that suites you, I guess for an example if I was buying a sports car and they had one with power windows, power steering, IRS, auto trans, posi track rear end compared to one with manual steering, roll up windows, solid axle rear end, limited slip rear end with a standard trans that cost me more guess which would I would be driving??? Well I think you get the point Honda is on the right track but they are kinda slow getting there.

Old 06-17-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Regarding the solid axle:

I read somewhere that a person had looked at the rear assembly and it looked the same as the 450ES.

Well.... If the 450ES and the Rubicon have the same part numbers for the rear shock absorbers/springs the ride would be very similar-rough

Just a thought. Should we check out those part numbers?

Old 06-17-2000, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

hehehe Thor that is a good one maybe that smoother ride is all in their heads wouldn't DW really be embarrassed if these are the same old parts and if they are can somebody explain to me how the Rubicon now all of sudden has a good of if not better ride than the Sportsman or is there some other contributing factor that makes the same parts all of a sudden ride smoother.