Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cause and Effect Front Gearcase Breakage on the 6/700

Old 03-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cause and Effect Front Gearcase Breakage on the 6/700

About two weeks ago I emailed polaris in refrence to the problems with the front gearcase with inboard AWD drive. They never emailed me back instead they called. I had a long talk today about operation and cause of the problems with the front gearcase. Here are some of the things we discussed:

Oil capacity for the front gearcase is only 5 ounces. However there are two plugs on the side of the case, upper and lower, you do NOT fill it up to the upper hole as allot of people have. 5 ounces only, of the gearcase lubricant which is SIMILAR to Dextron II but still not the same! Another problem is instead of the thinner fluid some have put 80w-90 in there. A good friend of mine started having similar problems out of his 700, when he disassembled it he found a couple of pieces of sand. Think about the clearences involved here there is not any room for any foreign debri. On that same sheet of music contaminated fluid will cause the viscosity of the oil to change just like adding thicker oil. Which causes the cage and rollers to drag, hence they will engage more frequently.
So why do they engage at all? Well as the carrier spins at a high rate of speed say above 30 mph you get a similiar effect as you do when your driving down the interstate and you pass a semi truck (how the wind pulls the two vehicles together). The oil does the same thing, causing the gearcase to engage.
So why does it break the cage? Picture this rear tires spinning 30 mph, now think of all of the mass that is moving when the speedo says 30 mph. Tires, wheels, hubs, axles, front drive shaft, gears in the tranny, primary & secondary clutch w/ belt of course, and finally all the inards to the engine. Do the math that is allot of moving mass that the stationary rollers and cage come into contact with from a stand still. When all that moving mass meets the stationary front drive line which has alittle mass to it also, the cage is the weak link and gives up. Now it may not break on the first or second or even third try but it will break.
IMHO I believe that if properly maintained and when ridin within reason you shouldn't have a problem. Rememeber what your are not on, a warrior or something of that nature. Its big heavy and has lots of power but face it it is a utility machine, just happens to be the one I am buying come Wed, EFI that is. Now watch mine break

Disclaimer::::The above listed items were they way I understood them and no they didn't pay me a darn thing for saying all that. I just thought it might help one or two people understand WTF is going on when crap happens.

"Freedom Isn't Always Free"

Kuntry
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cause and Effect Front Gearcase Breakage on the 6/700

Whoever you talked to knew exactly what they were talking about. I've heard this happen many times, it's all about proper maintenance and adding the correct fluids and the correct amounts as the manual says in your atv. Sometimes you don't want to spend the exta $ on the polaris brand oils etc., but they recommend those for a reason and design the components of the atv to work with these special lubes. At least ask a dealer before adding something else into your machine.