Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Removing a starter on a 250 Trailblazer

Old 03-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing a starter on a 250 Trailblazer

I did a search on this and saw four posts on the subject, but am still unclear on how to do this. I don't have a manual for this particular machine. So far, I have removed the skid plate on the bottom (and have stood the machine on its tail) and have removed the hot wire for the starter. There looks to be a bolt I can access with an open end/box end wrench. Are there any others on the outside?

I understand there are bolts inside someplace. Do I remove the recoil cover only (black thin steel) to access these bolts? It looks like there is a bolt on top of the starter that would require the inner clutch cover to be removed. Is this rught? What's the total quantity of bolts to remove from the starter, itself, for removal?

Thanks in advance,
SnowDrift

Old 03-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are heading in the right direction - but you might want to consider getting a service manual for this quad.

There should be (2) bolts externally mounting the starter rear support bracket to the engine case -- the top one is a real pain to get to without removing the clutch covers, but it can be done with patience (getting it back in is even worse).

Then you will have to remove the recoil starter housing (not the sheet metal cover for the rope) - one of the bolts (the long one) for the housing actually is (1) of (3) that hold the starter in - once the housing is off, then the other (2) bolts holding the starter in can be accessed.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!! That was what I needed.

I plan to get a manual and also one for my Sportsman 700, but haven't had time to get to the dealer. He's about an hour away. Our local dealer is worth not going to - the guy has the personality of a tree trunk.

Thanks again,
SnowDrift