Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Had some fun at the Polaris dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had some fun at the Polaris dealer

I have been meaning to post this sooner but just never got around to it. First off, I have nothing against Polaris, I actually have much respect for their products so flaming isn't necessary.

A few weekends ago I went out looking at atv's again. Later on into the day we stopped at a Polaris dealer in Gravel Ridge, Ar. I was just looking around at all of the atv's when a salesman comes over and asks if I need any help. I said I was alright. Her asked if I was in the market to buy and I said yeah but my mind is set on the Twin Peaks 700 (at the time it was, thankfully didn't work out though). And for some reason he seemed to get a little cocky and said the Twin Peaks was nothing compared to the 700 Sportsman, I was like "Oh, ok, why is that?" First thing he started off whith and I knew he would was the True 4x4 compared to the 3 wheels the TP has. I said I knew it was 4x4 though the TP had a locker it didn't really make a difference to me, I don't think he expected me to know that that. Next he said, "Yeah, it does though you can't travel at more than 20mph with it locked and it is hard to steer. I told him I knew it isn't the easiest thing to steer with a locker and I don't expect to be in the mud or any other terrain traveling at 20mph...He then said "If you were about to go through that swamp down the road would you not want to get through there in a hurry?" I said, sure I would, but If I had this Polaris you talk so greatly about (the 700) I wouldn't even start out to get into that swamp because it weighs so much I'd sink as soon as I rode off in it. I just had to make a joke about that. This as well didn't make him too happy. He then said the only reason why it weighs so much is because of the heavy duty parts Polaris uses that nobody else uses which makes their atv's the best built. I said, oh ok, it still weighs too much though. He then said he had videos of the 700 in action compared to all of the others and he'd show me them if I wanted to watch it, I told him I didn't have time. Then I looked over at a very sharp looking Troy Lee Predator, I was also looking at sport atv's, still am. I asked him if he liked it. He said it yeah, it's the fastest sport atv on the market, I just looked at him funny and laughed a little. I said it doesn't have reverse, which it needs in my opinion. He said it doesn't but it turns so sharp you would never need it. I then asked him if it is faster than the YFZ, he said something but I don't remember. He said afterwards that they have a ton of guys to come in and say that they can beat anything there is, and then they race and the guy ends up loading his atv in the back of the truck and not saying much while doing it. I said oh. I told him that there is no way that the Predator is faster off the line than the DS650. He actually laughed and told me that the DS is slow, weighs too much, and they had beat one easily. I said I'd love to see that stock for stock. Next him and another salesman about 30 ft. away start telling me about them just beating a Banshee that was jetted, had V-Force reeds and a few other things, though he said it was about a $20k banshee which it wasn't with the few things he listed. He told me to bring over a DS650 with some money and he'd beat it with the Predator and that 400 over there which I looked over at and it was a Scrambler 400. I just laughed. He asked me if I had a Polaris book and I said no, turns out I did. I then left and finished off the day.

It was all fun to me, he got a little mad over it all though. It is kinda bad when a grown man starts arguing with a 14 year old wouldn't you say? As I said though, I am not bashing Polaris one bit but this guy was pitiful. Oh, and all of the races he mentioned were highway drags and with a cop they got to clock the races. So what do you guys think? I just seen that the base DS650 is right at 6k which I was amazed at so I may take a look at one. I'll be buying this next week if everything works out right. Hmm, buy it and race the Scrambler 400 for money? Sure, I'll do it. I figure that is what I'll do as soon I get used to the atv. All in all, I had fun.

Old 06-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the scrammy 400 will waste a DS!! Just kidding!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] sounds like you had some pretty good fun. pretty funny that the dealer got all nerved up over a 14 year old! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

These folks are in the business of separating you and your money, and no matter what dealership you go to (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, etc.), you'll get the same exagerated line. Since I regard salespeople in the same ranks as lawyers and other social demons, I've resorted to doing all negotiating via internet or telephone. This eliminates all lot of the BS. Then, when the deal is made, I just drive down, write the check, and come home.

Old 06-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

depending on what was on that scrammy it could actually easily smoke a ds

Old 06-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I go to the dealers...and then they ask if they can help me and I am like "no thats alright I am just looking" when in fact I already know what I want and dont want to hear the load of bs that they are going to throw at me once I tell them what I want...Polaris makes some of the best atv's out there....and so do the other companys (well except yami....j/k) I will give props to anyone that rides beause they actually ride...it doesnt matter what they ride...just as long as they are not some cocky sob that says his/hers is the best out there and can beat nething they come up against....then I just laugh and walk away thinking to myself...what a frigin idiot!

Old 06-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
depending on what was on that scrammy it could actually easily smoke a ds
if it was at a dealer...chances are it was stock...not too many people would modify a quad and then trade it off...

Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

hes right^

Old 06-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

i said that because it could have been the guys that he modded. im sure he doesnt go and take brand new ones from the dealer and race them on the road out front.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

It was brand new, stock, and on the floor for sale. He talked as if they raced the Predator that I was looking at on the floor.

Old 06-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

it it was brand new and stock on the floor, its been sitting around for quite a while, since 400 Scrammy aren't made anymore, since '02. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Had some fun at the Polaris dealer