Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Symptoms of worn spark plug wire?

Old 09-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of worn spark plug wire?

We were going through some nasty mud on a ride yesterday (but we've been through there before) and i was riding and my sportsman stalled quietly and refused to start again. after trying for about an hour we left it there and picked it up with the suburban later. Air filter clean, inside of carb spotless, oil fine, got gas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and its turned on. Seems like no ignition. I looked on here and supposedly the spark plug wire can get worn away and short out?? I tried to follow it, and got both ends, but cant trace it as it goes down in front of the gas tank under the hood.

I hafta say that it picked the MOST ideal place to die- not in the mud, not in the stream, or way in the woods, or stuck between the two trees- but right in the middle of the gas station parking lot i was going through to continue the trail, as it crossed the street then went behind station. gotta look at the bright side there i guess.

I smell gas when i choke it and crank it, so i dont think its a gas line thing (no visible leaks or any gas smell otherwise)

Old 09-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Can you get a multi meter's test leads on either end? Test for continuity with ground (the frame). Could be a bad plug as well.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

i was going to test it tomorrow. put one lead of voltmeter on the contact inside that rubber boot over sparkplug and just ground the other? and how do i remove the plug - it seems to be way down in that hole on the block

i check for voltage while starting? or continuity with frame (which would mean a short if continuous)?

Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about voltage while starting, just see if it's grounded to the frame. You might be able to get a socket with a swivel adapter down in the head with the gas tank on but, I have not had any luck doing it on the Scrambler. You wil need a short extension and a spark plug socket.(the kind with the rubber boot inside to hold the plug as you lift it out.) I just pull the front plastic off, unbolt the gas tank and lift it up from the seat end enough to get at the plug. I also don't have side access like you might with the side panels.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

i do have side access with my panels off, so ill see what i can do. anyone with a sportsman know if thats the ideal way to go?
thanks fishslab

Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, its grounded to the frame. called the dealer, he knew exactly what i was saying (even though it was my mom he was talking to lol, she did good explaining) and he said he just fixed one of these yesterday. Gonna be a free repair, he didnt even ask if my machine is still under warrantee.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fishslab
Don't worry about voltage while starting, just see if it's grounded to the frame. You might be able to get a socket with a swivel adapter down in the head with the gas tank on but, I have not had any luck doing it on the Scrambler. You wil need a short extension and a spark plug socket.(the kind with the rubber boot inside to hold the plug as you lift it out.) I just pull the front plastic off, unbolt the gas tank and lift it up from the seat end enough to get at the plug. I also don't have side access like you might with the side panels.
do you have the plug socket and the tool that came with the quad?its pretty easy to get the plug out using it,even with the the plastic and tank on..after taking out my buddies on his scrammy 500 a few times its almost as easy as taking it out of my 400..

Old 09-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

dont think my toolkit has a plug wrench, i have some though. i was just wondering if it could be done without removing stuff before i get all the tools outside. My problems are good for now though. thanks guys

Old 09-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Tyler, have him throw in a new plug now, even if you have to pay for it. It's cheap insurance.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

thanks will do fishslab. i was just leaving for the dealer and decided to check here first.