Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winch install question

I am installing a Warn XT30 winch with the Cycle country mounting kit on my 2011 Sportsman 850 XP. In one of the Warn installation books that came with the winch, it very specifically says to always mount the winch with the cable coming out of the bottom. In the Cycle country instructions, it says to mount it with the cable coming out the top. If I mount it the way Warn says to, the cable will rub and will not last very long.

I am wondering if mounting it upside down will have any detrimental affects. I cannot foresee any mechanical or electrical problems, but am I overlooking something.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can mount it right side up, pull all the cable off then reverse the blue and yellow wires and wind it so it comes off the top, the winch doesnt care which way its wound, its just an electric motor

Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Ditto. That's the way my 07's winch is as well.(over the top)

Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

I am ok with it being upside down. That part is not a problem. I was just concerned about something I missed like a drain hole or something (I know it is sealed).

One other question for those who have done this before. The instructions said to remove a tie bolt. I am not at home so I cannot look at it, but is this like a locking bolt or something? Where is it at on the winch?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I see it now. I would have never guessed to remove that. Interesting that the parts diagram you linked shows both the hawse fairlead as well as a roller fairlead.

I wonder how they determine what winch comes with each one. Mine came with the roller fairlead.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

It's suggested to use a hawse if you are running a synthetic line...

John

Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
It's suggested to use a hawse if you are running a synthetic line...

John
My recently purchased Warn XT25 w/Synthetic line came from Warn with a Roller fairlead. Any particular reason for your statement?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well first of all, at certain angles the synthetic rope can get "pinched" between the edges of the vertical and horizontal rollers...Secondly, a nice polished billet hawse is smoother and less likely to snag on any part of the synthetic rope...Lastly never use a roller that has any kind of burs on it as it will cut into the synthetic...I'm not saying you can't use a roller fairlead but you have to be careful...Hope that explained it a little to you...

John

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, it sure did. Food for though - thanks a lot. This is my first experience with Synthetic Winch Lines so any information based on experiences is welcome! It's a new fairlead, so burrs are not an issue - but pinching is something to watch for. Maybe I'll switch if it looks like it could be a problem.

Thanks again.

Paul

Quick Reply: Winch install question