Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?

Old 11-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?

Hey all,

How many gear's does the Trail Boss 330 have?

My wife has the '04 Trail Boss 330, and i have ridden it a couple of times and have never felt the thing shift.

I have looked for Polaris specs to see if it says, but have been unable to find any specs for how many gears it has.

I know it goes about the same speed as my Z400 in 3rd gear @ 3/4 Throttle. So my guess is 3 gears.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 11-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

It's a auto, so it has no gears.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

DUH!

Old 11-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, the beauty of a centrifugal clutch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Nice smooth powerband, no need to shift

-Chris

Old 11-07-2004, 11:52 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

Can it Crit!!

Look at the picture in this auction. The belt rides in the pulleys and the pulley halves move together or appart to change the gear ratio in relation to speed and load.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

GE4x4:

Uhh.. I think you better take Transmission class 101 again..

Automatic means that it changes gears automatically, An automatic clutch, and automatic shifting typically centrifugal, instead of a manual clutch and manual shifting, but it still has to have gears, If it only had 1 gear, then it would be a Direct drive, and it would top out real fast.

Automatic transmission doesn't mean "No Gears"

Crit:

You Missed the Inteligent comment's 101 class, either missed it, or completely failed it.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad
GE4x4:

Automatic means that it changes gears automatically, An automatic clutch, and automatic shifting typically centrifugal, instead of a manual clutch and manual shifting, but it still has to have gears, If it only had 1 gear, then it would be a Direct drive, and it would top out real fast.

Crit:

You Missed the Inteligent comment's 101 class, either missed it, or completely failed it.
LOL, I think YOU need to take transmission 101 again. The Polaris machines use a CVT )Constant Variable Transmission) THERE ARE NO GEARS!! It uses 2 clutches (pullys) and a belt. You can tune the transmission with different springs, weights, and helixs. The only gears that it has is forward, reverse, and low (on some models) and that is in the gearbox

Old 11-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad
GE4x4:

Crit:

easy killer dont jump the gun to fast here, u obviously dont understand the polaris transmissons. they have one gear for reverse and one gear for forward unless it has low. but regardless if its in low or high it only has one gear and wont come out of that gear, the clutch has a spring and weights and if u take the clutch cover off and rev it in nuetral u will see the clutch move in and out. this is the shifting. and it works along with teh secondary iwht the helix and secondary spring. im no expert on this and neither are u but i know the basics. and i also know that it works nothing like a car tranny. someone that can explain this well will come into this thread eventually.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Hmm, I have never heard of this such type 'transmission'

This thing really is a P.O.S., More then i origionally expected. My wife and her mother went to the dealer and out of all the model's ended up with this one.

Basically there are 2 mice on 2 different size wheels, When the mouse on the larger wheel get's tired, the mouse on the smaller wheel takes over.

Your right, i never did take 'Proprietary transmissions that defy all other 'real' automatic transmissions laws of functionality' 101.

I just naturally assumed that they probably wouldn't have redesigned the wheel, especially with a lopsided one and called it a better idea.

I mean for god sakes i raced professional R/C for many years, and most the gas powered cars even had real 2 speed(Gears) centrifugal Transmissions! So it's not too much to assume that a $4000 machine would have a real transmission as well!

Anyway, Thanks for the info.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

TC, This mickey mouse type tranny is used on most if not all snowmobiles, many atvs, some new cars, golf carts go karts, sand rails, and so on. Just because you are not familiar with it does not make it bad. It is actually quite reliable wether it's made by Polaris or not. But if you don't like the POS then sell it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TrailBoss 330: How Many Gears?