Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Popping through carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 04:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping through carburetor

Just put new main jet w/needle,pilot jet w/needle,and jet bridge in carb. on 98 Scrambler 500.I got the bike firing with the help/advice of one of the forum members(thanks again!) got it to start and run for a few seconds gave it a little throttle and it pops rapidly through the carb. then dies.It doesnt want to start back without half choking or full choking it .When it starts back,it will idle for a few seconds and then die(as long as i dont touch the throttle,then it pops and dies).I put a new spark plug in, but didnt check the gap,also,ididnt have an air filter on it,or the lid to the filter box. I didnt want to monkey with the pilot screw until i talked to someone who knows more about these symptoms than i do(and it wouldnt take a very good mechanic to know more than me!) but, i do follow directions quite well. Can anyone offer advice?thanks.

Old 12-30-2004, 04:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

start by putting the air filter back on

then tell us what size jets

what exhaust are you running?

Old 12-30-2004, 05:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will put filter back on first thing this morning. Dont know what size jets,a guy at a local repair ordered them for me through a polaris dealer, they are supposed to be same as from factory.(do they put different size jets in different 500 scramblers?) this is my first time working on an atv other than just regular maintenance like changing oil and so forth, bought it for the kids mainly,just want to try to get it going for them. Oh yeah,almost forgot, running factory exhaust. Dont know much about the bikes history.Thanks for replying.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

So you just wanted all new jets?

when it dies,,,,and you pull the plug,,,,,is it wet?

Maybe a stretch,,,,with those symptoms it almost seems like your float needle valve that lets fuel into the bowl may not be closing all the way, causing it to overflow and flood out.

anyhow,,,,put that filter/lid back on before anything else and give it another try,,,,may have just been way lean