Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xplorer 250 takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xplorer 250 takeoff

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info?
I've got an '00 Xplorer 250 4x4 that I picked up for $300. The guy that owned it locked up the piston and took it to a shop where they tore down the top end and told him $1800 to fix it. To make a long story short, I got it off him for $300, spent about $150 to get it bored and put a Wiseco.020 over piston in it and related parts. Because I have never ridden this one or one similar, I am not sure how it is supposed to act. I've only run it maybe 3 hours total and that's just up and down the street. It starts up fine every time and takes a few minutes for the RPMs to settle down. (I think my throttle and choke cables may need to be rerouted than how I put them when I installed all the body panels on because it seems the choke may be stayin on. If I put the choke on it kills the machine.) I have been running premixed fuel in the tank with the oil injector so it smokes pretty good. I really want to trust the oil injector, but I'm hesitant because I don't want to lock it up again if it's not oiling right.

These are some of the things I was wondering about...

-If I rev this thing in Nuetral more than I really meant to, it sounds as if it's going to grenade, and then takes a little while to settle back down. Is this normal for these 2 strokes?

-Can I replace the indicator bulbs from the front by only pulling off the lens cover thing with the lettering on it? The lens cover is already off because it's broke/cracked and the only bulb that I could tell was working was the reverse one, which I broke when trying to pull it out.
Also is there a trick to removing or installing these things?

-How can I tell if my oil pump/injector is working? There is oil in the line, because the line is clear and I see the oil with no bubbles in it, but I didn't prime it as I found out I should have done.

-The main thing I was wondering about, as the message title indicates, is the power at take off. This thing seems pretty sluggish when I take off from a dead stop. I know a 2 stroke doesn't have the torque of a 4 stroke, but I want a little more pickup. It seems to go pretty good higher speeds. I was wondering if I can put a different spring and/or weights on my clutch assembly? I know everyone says to use the "white spring" but I don't know what weights to use. What should I expect if I decide on doing these mods? What are the disadvantages to doing this?

Any help would be appreciated. As you can tell from my questions I'm not too familiar with ATVs, mainly because I've never owned one before.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I was also wondering if anyone knows how to clean paint overspray off of the plastic and seat without scarring it? Apparently the previous owner didn't believe in masking off when he wanted to touch up the racks with spray paint.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

Hmm... No help...... anyone?

Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Try and take the plastic off and then rev. the bike up. See if it still takes a while for the rpm's to come down. Cable might be hung up on the plastic, both throttle and choke. I have a trailblazer 250 and this happen to me. re-routed the throttle cable and was back in business.

As far as the bulbs go.....I have never changed them.

As far as the oil injector goes..... since you are pre-mixing in the tank. Take the hose off where it goes into motor in front of the reed cage and see if it is pumping oil out of the line.

Spring: I would just try a white spring without changing the weights first to see how you like it. I again put an orange spring in my scrambler 400 and then put the stock white spring in the 250 trailblazer and what a differance. The boy loves the take off and now he can wheelie, not sure if I like that but boys will be boys. Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

As far as the over spray goes, try some orange cleaner and some elbow grease.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response tmzg29, for a while I thought I wouldn't get any help. I'll try your suggestion with the white spring. Does it kill any of your top end speed?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

hey Aggie Daddy i have a ? for u.. i was wonderin about how ur 250 locked up the piston because my same wheeler did it a year ago and we didnt find how it had happend.... and i always have problems after harvest with my front bearings goin out witch is kinda price after replaceing all of that...i run ams oil in mine and it doesnt seem to burn much oil i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

i have a 400 two stroke and i have set to run rich it fouls a plug every now and then if going slow but i would rather do that then replace another piston and assembly. it leaves a blue trail behind it when going slow.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

Hey ditch, I didn't own the machine when it locked up on him. I suspect the guy that had it let it run out of oil. He say's he's "pretty sure" he had oil in it and doesn't know what happened. He is a very careless sort of guy who didn't do any upkeep or maintenence on it at all. The chain was COMPLETELY dry and squeaky and the front hubs would have been dry if it wasn't for the moisture from the mud and rust inside them. I replaced the bearings and temporarily have some ATF fluid in them, but I noticed the inner seals are leaking so I've got to replace them along with all the other fluid on the machine.

How can I tell if my chain is still OK?
And, because I had the engine loose when I rebuilt the upper end, I am concerned that my belt might not be lined up on the clutch pulleys correct, how can I tell for sure?

Old 05-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

i'm preaty sure that the front seals went out witch caused that to happen i dont know if it was from the corn stalks or what but it cost around 500 bucks a side at a polaris dealer.... and do u ever have problems with it grinding when it is locked in 4 wheel drive?