Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Scrambler 400 .. love it, but im getting 3-wheel drive.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1995 Polaris Xplorer
at an idle the lh front drive doesn't always engage but when I rev it, ialways engages, why?

Mark

Old 07-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

?? The front hubs engage only if the rear wheels slip unless you have a mechanical problem with the armature plate or coil in the hub. Front tires and axles will always free wheel when rear tires have good traction. On ice is a good demo on how the system works.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and probably the best feature of the On-Demand system...this works very well for the "sportier" 4WD/AWD machines since the front wheels only lock when needed...keeping steering light...and why I've owned/own then for so long...

Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like its working fine. I'm not a big fan of the on demand system myself. I don't like a sensor deciding when I need 4x4 and not. I like to decide when I want it. At least it is a true front locker, its got that going for it. And it does engage quickly when you need it. I would prefer it to be a system that is on the whole time you have the button pushed and disengages as soon as you push the button to disable it. It takes a fraction of a second to push a button either way. You need it when you need it and when you don't, its very easy to just disengage it. No need for a sensor to decide that I don't think you need 4x4 right now even though you have clearly selected it. I guess you forgot to turn it off so I'll do it for you. I just don't like that concept.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a love it or leave it kinda thing

I like it in real slick situations such as snow or very loose terrain...having it engage when it needs to allows me to focus on the trail and not the conditions or pushing a button...very similar to most auto 4wd systems in vehicles...

Die-hard 4x4 folks don't like it...and I can see why...but on a sport machine I think it performs very well...

Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see situations where it might be better in some ways. Sand dunes for instance where you don't know whether you need 4x4 or not. I think I understand why Polaris made their 4x4 system this way. Only kicking in when it thinks it needs it should make 4x4 components last longer. Still, pushing a button(or toggle switch on some like Kawasaki and Can-am) is pretty easy to do. I guess also the on demand system if already activated will still kick in no matter how fast you're going or how hard you're on the throttle. I suppose other 4x4 systems do that but I always let off the throttle before engaging mine and do the same when disengaging. I do it just to be safe as I'm sure the jolt on the driveline might eventually break something when hard on the throttle.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the 4x4 stayed on the whole time the button was pushed it would be hard to steer. You'd have a choice of getting great traction with diff lock or easy steering in 2WD and constantly be turning the switch off and on in some situations. The system works very well and I never feel it engage or disengage.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Sounds like its working fine. I'm not a big fan of the on demand system myself. I don't like a sensor deciding when I need 4x4 and not. I like to decide when I want it. At least it is a true front locker, its got that going for it. And it does engage quickly when you need it. I would prefer it to be a system that is on the whole time you have the button pushed and disengages as soon as you push the button to disable it. It takes a fraction of a second to push a button either way. You need it when you need it and when you don't, its very easy to just disengage it. No need for a sensor to decide that I don't think you need 4x4 right now even though you have clearly selected it. I guess you forgot to turn it off so I'll do it for you. I just don't like that concept.
spot on!