Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Phoenix 200 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 200 help

Does anybody know of any way to lighten up the chassis? I'm not talking about major recontruction here, just some simple tricks. Anything that can be removed? I was thinking about replacing the front bumper and rear grab bar with either smaller, or lighter versions. Does anybody know know what exhaust Ritter used on his?
So far I've found a K&N filter that fits(I believe it's #RX-4040-1), and I'm gonna try a Denso Iridium spark plug (IUF22). Not sure how much (if any) difference the spark plug will make, but it's worth a try.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Phoenix 200 help

Some stuff off the top of my head. Aluminum handle bars, aluminum wheels. Have the A arms made out of chromoly. Lighter axle if you can find one. Lighter tires. Remove the air box and get a clamp on filter. Cut out the skid plate (leave some tabs in the corners) and bolt in an aluminum one. Remove the floor boards and weld on pegs and or nerf bars. Chromoly steering post. Aluminum or chromoly tie rods and ends. That should be a good start. As far as I know Rick built an exhaust for it. As far as plugs, Polaris updated the plug for it and sent owners the new plug. I can't remember the number right now, but I'd try to use the irridium closest to the new plug.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

Thanks for the advice. As far as the spark plug goes, mine is an NGK CR7HSA, and I used the cross reference guide on "sparkplugs.com" to find the Denso plug I listed. I checked NGK, and I don't think they make a comparable Iridium plug. But, I bought a new NGK plug too, just in case I have trouble with the Denso. So, we'll see. It's a good little engine, but it could be a lot better if companies would start making parts for it.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

I figured out something that works quite well, I need to know if it's could cause any damage. I was reading in a magazine that a quick way to gain some power is to remove the airbox lid. So that's what I did, and it seems to have made a difference. It's a lot louder, and does wheelies with a lot less effort. So, somebody please let me know if this could do any damage.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Phoenix 200 help

1. if you don not ride through water you should be fine.
2. as long as it does not have a vaccuum operated slide(it does not) you should be fine.
Heck I might give it a shot too.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

I'm curious if anybody knows if it is possible to replace the rear shock? Are there any "universal" shocks on the market, or would it be okay to use a shock that is actually made for another quad? Rickritter? Fishslab?

Old 07-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

Hey Fishslab, can you post the Part number of that new plug, as I haven't seen one yet. Does it make any difference?
Also wondering if anybody else experiences fuel starvation & stalling on steep inclines, seems to only be a problem while running on the main tank pickup, when I switch to reserve it doesn't happen.
thanx.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

I was reading some of your comments since I just bought one and am not happy with it. What was the part number of the replacement plug. Mine is brand new and all of the rubber products around the carb were rotted out. They have some major holes in them. It has the standard air package and we run oil soaked filters becasue we run in the sand. If I change the filter should I keep the lid on it? Will the oil limit the air that may make this puppy at least growl a little bit? Any thing else you can tell me I would appreciate. I am going back to the dealer with this one but I would like to know more before I do.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

The new plug is Denso Iridium spark plug #IUF22, I bought mine at Sparkplugs.com. I noticed a little difference, but not much. The K&N filter helped (rx-4040-1). But the most performance improvement came from removing the lid of the airbox. It is louder, has noticably more power, and does wheelies with less effort. I haven't had it in sand yet, so I'm not sure about that.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Phoenix 200 help

Thanks. It is going back to the dealer but if more air makes it run better that is a good start.