Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800EFI Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800EFI Horsepower?

You have to take in consideration that the sportsman is not a full 800cc its a 760cc. I think that Polaris should have called a sportsman 760. All Polaris has to do is give the sportsman a few more cc's and it would out pull the outy it would also out run the bomb. I don't care which one is fastest in a drag race any how. I like the ride of the sportsman, pulling power, looks, reliability, made in the USA. HP may be about 54, the torque is amazing.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if the sportsman 800 got its bore increased to 799cc's a 8 valve DOHC head (current is 4 valve SOHC pushrod) and a true dual exhuast, it would smash all the other quads.

but it dosnt, so lets keep dreaming

Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spyder6
if the sportsman 800 got its bore increased to 799cc's a 8 valve DOHC head (current is 4 valve SOHC pushrod) and a true dual exhuast, it would smash all the other quads.

but it dosnt, so lets keep dreaming
Keep that in mind tho spyder, polaris is always on top of atv market, i think they made the sportsman 800 the way they did for a reason, so they can upgrade when the competition gets tough they have room to improve

Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

You siad it right!!

Old 02-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer

Keep that in mind tho spyder, polaris is always on top of atv market,
Uh... i dont think so. Maybe in the 4x4 segment, but they arent always on top, I will say they are always in competition.

But as far as the rest of the industry is concerned they arent. Polaris doesnt win more races than Honda or Yamaha, its because their sport quads cant compete with them. I do admire that new quad the Outlaw they came out with, now that a major manufacturer has come out with rear suspension on a sport quad the rest of the manufacturers will also start releasing their versions (assuming the Outlaw is a good selling and reliable quad).

Even the Polaris Ranger isnt as good as the Yamaha Rhino

Old 02-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well 82DuneBanshee i dont want to start a war but if u would pull your head out of your *** polaris made the first irs... now everyone has it... look at the ground clearance, polaris started to say look we have ground clearance... the whole market now has improved...poalris made the first awd system... now everyone trys to have a diff system or some sort... even your yamahs have a polaris COPY "on command" thats sad they cant even think of their own name... i think thats pathetic

if it wasnt for the polaris 500 the market wouldnt be where it is today... is polaris always on top yes they are! who came out wiht the first 800 beacuse everyone was competing with their wait wait 700 EFI first one out hmmm

Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 PM

It's likely that it's already maxed out at 760cc. You can't bore and stroke the thing infinately.

HP is not the key figure for a utility quad. Do you want to do 80 MPH and 7000 RPM through a rock-strewn woods trail???.......or using the machine for work???

Torque is a much better indicator of an engines usable powerband. HP is a better indicator of an engines total output at a high RPM. For this reason HP is a far more important factor for perform/sport/race bikes where speed and light weight are the goal and torque is a far more important factor for a utility machine where lower RPM and a broad power-band of torque is more important.

HP is somewhat a function of RPM. This why Formula 1 cars rev at 19,000 RPM and have such high peak HP numbers with a relatively small displacement engine. Yet you look at all the big, heavy work machines such as tractor trailers and they utilized low RPM, relatively low HP but massive torque engines.

I could see the Preddy engine developing as much HP as a SP 800. But try putting that Preddy engine in a SP 800 and see what happens. It'll fall on it face unless you re-do the clutch set-up not engage until higher RPM and even then the powerband will be narrow and useablity will be far reduced.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

i dont want to start a war but if u would pull your head out of your ***
Well, those are some choice words for you not wanting to start a war, i can see you are a very polite person.

Its true, Polaris in the 4x4 segment is a very strong competitor, and I do admire how they release tech before other manuafacturers but that would be the only segment where there are strong. They certainly dont dominate the whole ATV industry, that is a farce.

Thanks for the intelligent reply Backinthesaddleagain

Old 02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Your correct, they dont dominate the industry... there isnt a company that does, polaris sells alot more atvs then alot of other companies but that doesnt mean anyhting to me... polaris needs to improve on alot of things like quailty and control... sport quads and all that good stuff but are they always on top of the industry... yes they are

Old 02-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

82DuneBanshee excuse for my language

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800EFI Horsepower?