Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

best mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best mod

i have a 96 scrambler 400 4x4. i ride creeks and once in a great while go to a few parks close. i was wonderin what would be my best mod for the creek.thanks

Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Range Rover
Default best mod

What do you want for a mod for creek riding, are you looking for advice for performance or for body accessories?

Old 03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default best mod

im thinking performance.also wondered if wider front tires would help not get stuck as much[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] the scrammy is a lil heavy after a few times pullin it out by hand. thanks for your help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default best mod

First thing, a winch. I think Warn makes a smaller sized one that fits the Scrammy. Might want to check into a snorkel kit also.

Be careful with some performance kits, they might have you vent the airbox. Deep water is a problem then.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Range Rover
Default best mod

Wider tires may help some, but a better tread for the type of ground would help more. I would suggest something like ITP mudlites or something more aggressive if they are kind of muddy. Scooter is right a winch would be a great asset if you do get stuck a bit but they generally aren't cheap either. Also you would not want to vent the airbox like he said because you are riding in water but you couls easily add an exhaust to your machine at it'll add 7-10 hp on top of the stock 36 or 38, but you need to clutch to the exhaust and jet the carb. Talk to rick ritter if your interested in that. He has a kit for $325 but that also includes an airbox mod which you probably wouldn't want so you could most likely not include that in the kit and he would reduce the price accordingly.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts
Default best mod

I think the vents are only a couple of bucks. Just use them at your next picnic as napkin rings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If you do ride in alot of mud and water, you're going to want to grease it a lot to get any contaminents out of the bearings too.

Money may be the determining factor. I would definitely call Rick and tell him what you're looking for.