Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hawkeye Modifications for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye Modifications for more power?

I just bought a used Hawkeye 4x4 with about 4xx miles and 22hrs on it. Has a little click from the starter after starting...like the starter does not want to disengage, goes away with a little rev...seems to have a little knock at idle...(like revving, and then letting it idle down, as it stays in idle, it rumbles a little like it might die out)...Is this normal? Power does not seem very strong too for a 300cc...although I am referencing it to cheapo 250cc 2X4 china made brands.. Is it because its a automatic that the power is not very strong...I guess I mean there is not much torque to the beast..

I love the ride! got me ticked off cause on my third day of ownership... I saw a freaking branch stuck in the most difficult way in the rear and it ate up my inner cv boot...waiting on the boot to come in...shaft is all apart ready for re-installation...

Could we take off that sponge thing around the stock air filter, or is that a big "no no", I am sure removing that might improve intake flow drastically...?

Oh, and after hearing the little knock, I hoped it was just low octane fuel...but after my 93 octane fill up...not much change...I checked the fluids, the previous owner put way too much oil in this baby...so I drained some out...to the safe level...still has a little knock at idle...not constant, but like in the movies when older cars act like it dying out...

maybe they did not use the recommended oil weight???

0w/50 synthetic is whats recommended, anyone else try something different that seems to work just a good?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

You may have gotten one of the Hawkeyes that need the jetting Fixed, You can remove this peice of Foam on the snorkel, the only Purpose it served was for water splash and steam,,The vibration is Normal from the motor ,,the vibrationyour feeling is probally from the snorkel it jumps up and down when revving it or driving it,,Heres what i did to get it right with the hawkeye.
1. Check the plug or replace it first thing ( alot of guys think the plug is alright when it has been the problem all along.
2. tets ride it wide open and if it runs over 40 MPH then i say its okay.
3. Test ride if it doesnt hit 40 plus then there is a problem ( usually jetting) or a ( bad plug)
4. Detemine if its running rich or not (Black plug means rich White brown plug means lean) my plug was black,,so i gave it more air (air Box) and Put the Carb needle clip in the third Clip Position.
5. take out that stupid spark arrestor on the muffler.
6.Look at the snorkel inlet see the Plastic that was built up from Manufactirng Process--Remove this with a file or sand paper.
7. the Knock is probally Normal Polaris stuff i wouldnt worry to mush about yet unless it gets bothersome and the starter noise is normal also.
8. After doing the work i did i took it out on the dirt road and Held it wide open it ran 50Mph (took 3 tenths ) to do it but it got there.
As far as Power Increase to run with bigger quads it aint gonna Happen. I have to run with the smaller quads and women and that aint so bad.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

rickeyparker can u e mail me i have some questions about my 07 hawkeye kyosoracerboy@yahoo.com

Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my hawkeye in Feb.Its my 1st one.On flat runs it goes well.Ive had it at the dunes with no paddles,and I was able to keep up with my buddies who have larger machines.I have found that at elevations over 4000 ft it loses power,and at elevations @1200 ft it will lose power on a long moderate hill about 3/4 the way up.Not good.The dealer suggested rejetting to a 135 or a 132.I bought the jets and a K&N.Is rejetting difficult.I have rebuilt Holley 4 barrel carbs.I am looking for a few tricks.I looked at my carb and I dont want to have to do it on the bench.Any suggestions.And how do I adjust the needle to the #rd groove.I am mechanically competant,just never worked on a Quad before.I also dont want to drill holes in the airbox.I paid 3899 out the door,and I dont want to drill holes in it.Thx

Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rejetting is easy. It is all the crap you have to remove to get the carburetor out that is a pain. You have to remove the rear plastic to slid everything back so the air box is disconnected from the carb. Rejetting is from the bottom and the needle movement is from the top. You might want to have an impact driver handy as the screws are tight on the carb and easy to strip. You might want to consider Dynojet's jetting kit for the Hawkeye. It comes with a new needle and a whole range of main jets. They also have you remove the plug and change the fuel screw setting. The kit comes with good instructions. I have one on my Hawkeye, riding at 2,500 feet and it runs very well.

Good luck,
Alan Mefford